Mountain House individually packed meals...

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have seen them in the gallon cans in a few places. i been thinking about getting the cans and repacking them. I dont worry to much about what they are other then some are heavier then others. I usually get whatever is cheapest. Figure the nutrition is close to the same in all of them and Im there to hunt not for the food. I like to mix instant mashed potatoes into them and I only have them for dinner.

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
I have trouble eating a whole mountain house my self so I would be in on smaller packaging. but sounds like I need to do some more research because there are some good ideas here about splitting them up.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I wonder if I only ate a half a mean if I would only fart half as much?? Those things give me gas like you wouldn't believe and I already have bad gas at altitude...lol

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Some of you are way over-thinking this. I just buy the gallon cans when on sale and before a trip pack meals to whatever size I want into freezer zip-locks. The opened can goes into the freezer and should stay good until after the Zombie Apocolypse. I make a pouch out of Reflectux insulation and just put the zip-lock inside and use as proscribed. I do find that I make up my own meals more and more as my leftovers are always the freeze dried stuff. I have even used two of the pouches as a butt pad when sitting on the cold damp ground. (Doesn't affect to flavor at all!!)

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Tried the Wise food meals last year off Amazon. I liked them way more than the MT House. I will more than likely do the Wise meals again this year.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'm a small person 150lbs. After hiking and hunting hard all day the pro packs are just about perfect for one person IMO. I also use the 2-person one and have no problem eating the entire pack.

I only eat one a day. Some of you folks must small stomachs. I usually hunt hard for at least 2-weeks and lose probably 7-10lbs and I eat like a pig.

Like stated get the gallon can and make you're own size.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
my guess is that the single serve won't be enough and the 2 servings is a little to much. I don't always finish one, but there is usually not much left over.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
They do seem to be calorie light. I too supplement with some high calorie stuff during the mid-day and for snacks, but it's good to get something hot inside you in the evening after a long day. They are heavy, but likely the most calorie packed thing that I carry is a small plastic jar of peanut butter or Nutella. One big spoonful of that makes an easy desert and a 10oz jar will last a week.