Motorized Hunting Pack Cart

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Not a motorized one. But last year during Rifle 1 I saw some guys using a non-motorized one to pack out. It caused some grumbling at camp actually - we were hunting a Wilderness Area where wheeled vehicles weren't allowed (and we had just humped an elk of our own down 4 miles out to the parking area that morning through good old pack-carry). But the wilderness area started a mile in and none of us wanted to be calling foul without seeing an actual violation so we didn't bring it up.

Tell you one thing, they looked like they were having an easy time of it...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With a motorized one you have to be real careful with where you use it.

If the area says non motorized you can't, if you can not go off road or the trail system you can't use it. So for out west here in National Forest it is pretty much useless. For BLM lands it depends on if it is useless or not.

I actually thought about building one out of a rear end off of a old 3 wheeler once, but that was back when you could go off trail with a ATV to retrieve a animal, but in most areas you can no longer do that.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Good points, Jim, but pretty sure the area we were in didn't allow ANY wheeled vehicles. No bicycles either.

That said my main question with the smaller units is how do you get them "up"? I can see the two-man versions, but I feel like with 100-200lbs on a single-wheel version I just can't wrap my head around how you get 'er going... It seems unwieldy to me.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Years ago we would use a deer cart with a motorcycle wheel, it was quite easy to get up and most of the time it was easier to use with just one person.

Just think wheelbarrow

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
It's called a pack wheel. Anybody ever see one of these in person? Looks kind of interesting. It seems like it maybe hard to handle with a load on it.

pretty cool but a couple o sherpas might be cheaper.

they'd have their place but I suspect most who owned one would soon be using them in non motorized areas.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I would tip that sucker over in the first 5 minutes of using it, probably bend the wheel then end up kicking the $hit out of it in a fit of range knowing I was now going to have to carry that out as well...lol

I wheel barrowed a few hogs out one time. It was miserable. At the time I rember wishing it had had a motor. lol

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
seems to work pretty well in the video. I don't particularly want one but I know some who would.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
In winter here I've had good luck with sleds. I have one of those big plastic tub-style sleds, about 6' long, and we used it to get elk quarters out of a really messy area until we could load them into packs for carry. It worked GREAT over snow. Not so great on rocky or dirty ground - the sled was fine but it was too much weight to pull easily and without dumping the load..

Still, it makes me think about those sled-style "deer drags" some companies sell. I've never had the need for one myself but now I'm wondering if it might not be a useful thing to keep in the truck "just in case..."