More Colorado archery OTC units to move to draw only

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
The CPW has identified several units in the SW part of the state that will most likely become limited next year or in 2020. From who I talk with this change at this point is almost a sure thing = just waiting for the vote of the commissioners to approve the change.

Needless to say for most this will be a very good change that most folks feel is much needed in this part of the state. The units that the cpw are looking at totally limit archery elk licensing are units 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 711, 741, 751, & 771. It looks like the changes will apply to units 44, 45, 47, & 444 as well.

The change will be voted on at the next CPW commissioners meeting on Jan 15-16 so make sure and let the commissioners know (via email) that this change is a good idea for both hunters and the resource.

Great to see as something has to be done to protect the experience.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are a number of units in Colorado where the elk population is dropping. It is bad enough in my home unit where the archery tags have gone from either sex to bull only and now to a draw.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am in favor of anything that removes point holders from the overall point pool. This is a start. Now if they would just take peoples points statewide for the second and third OTC rifle tags....we would be in business.

Reactions: Slugz

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
What odds are that it goes in to affect this year, fall of 2020?

i just planned an OTC archery hunt with my cousin this year and took leave based on a friends recommendation and knowledge of a unit that you have listed. I am coming from Utah and he is coming from Ohio. It is more of a hunt for him than me as I can hunt OTC bulls in Utah every year.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My problem with the ML hunt at the same time as archery is just the range of modern day muzzle loaders even with open sights. 200 yard shots are quite easy even with shooting conical bullets.

I hate to think of a hunter shooting at a longer range with a archery hunter between him and his target.

I also have a problem where muzzle loaders have to have orange on when during the same time frame a archery hunter does not. To me it just doesn't make sense

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Muzzy hunters don’t bother me too much but now high country rifle hunters for mule deer is a different story....

In 2022 here in Co - archery guys will have 4 days to hunt before shells are getting hucked 1000 yds across basins. Very unsafe for the archers w the actions I have seen out of the rifle crowd.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Muzzy hunters don’t bother me too much but now high country rifle hunters for mule deer is a different story....

In 2022 here in Co - archery guys will have 4 days to hunt before shells are getting hucked 1000 yds across basins. Very unsafe for the archers w the actions I have seen out of the rifle crowd.

No problem. Eithe rmake them wear orange so they are visible or let them hunt after the right country rifle hunt...lol

Skibum81

Sep 18, 2015
Denver, CO
By my count that is 16 Units that will become limited archery. I wonder what effect it will have on crowding in the remaining OTC archery units that are already quite crowded?

Reactions: ColoradoV

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I was hoping they'd make all OTC draw for NR (archery, 2nd, 3rd)
I'd support that. I'm guessing that there'd be little to no point creep, at least for quite a while, in most of those units. There's still quite a few units that are currently draw units that either go to leftovers, or only need a point to draw now.