Moose Ribs

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Wanted to get some comments on breaking down moose ribs in the field and tools used. Ive gotten some input from others that said they use a rough cut 15 inch carpentry saw in the field for the initial cut below the bottom of the back strap. They said easier than a WYO saw and bow meat saw.

They then cut off the bottom (breast bone/ cartlidge) with a sturdy knife in the field.

Final processing then they used a good butcher meat saw to cut them down to manageable size.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
If you don't want to mess with the bone, the rib roll technique might be something to consider. We did it with my buddy's wife's cow elk. Then I think you can roll it up with some jalapeno cream cheese and wrap it in bacon then slow cook it in the smoker. I think the options are endless. Hopefully they will be cooking it up some way soon and inviting me over.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A Cordless Sawzall works slick as snot if you can pack one.

I was just going to mention that along with some stainless blades for it. It will make quick work on any animal that is laying on the ground, and with them weighing in at around 6 lbs are worth their weight to bring back in if you have to head to a truck for the packing gear.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks all. Yeah im prepping for all options from a bang flop near a quad trail, bang flop near a trail hauling with a sled and the inevitable.....bang flop and hump out😀

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Thanks all. Yeah im prepping for all options from a bang flop near a quad trail, bang flop near a trail hauling with a sled and the inevitable.....bang flop and hump out😀
You do know that you just cursed yourself don't you?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm the same type of person. I couldn't tell you the amount of deer that I have brought out in pieces.

It took me two days to get one out many years ago and I though that I had found a deer heaven so I went back into the same area the next year before daylight. Much to my surprise I saw headlights on the ridge right above where I shot the deer the year before. It would of been a quick quarter mile hump to get that buck up to that road.

But that was before maps were readily available to be able to look at to see where the road were located at. You just stumbled across them while you were out hiking if you were new to the area.

Reactions: Slugz

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
My brothers and Father drug a huge Muley all the way down a ridge.2hrs
looking at topo map that evening,old logging trail 100 yds east of kill zone. 🔥

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'm the same type of person. I couldn't tell you the amount of deer that I have brought out in pieces.

It took me two days to get one out many years ago and I though that I had found a deer heaven so I went back into the same area the next year before daylight. Much to my surprise I saw headlights on the ridge right above where I shot the deer the year before. It would of been a quick quarter mile hump to get that buck up to that road.

But that was before maps were readily available to be able to look at to see where the road were located at. You just stumbled across them while you were out hiking if you were new to the area.
Same kind of story this year during September muzzleloader when I went in with the boys. We chased and circled for the wind for so long after we had the cows down i really didnt believe Mr Onx saying we had a quad trail one mile away. We are never that lucky so i can only assume 4th rifle is gonna be a hoot.