Moose Ribs/open fire

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Big fan of cooking fresh meat over an open fire. No grill, no smoker. Open fire.
I plan to do this with my moose this fall.
Trying to figure out the best way to cook moose ribs over the fire. Yes, I am well aware of how big a rack of moose ribs are, and well aware that it will more than likely be some tough meat done this way.
Anyone done this? Any Ideas?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You are right about tough meat. What I do on elk and moose ribs is saw each side into two racks, so you end up with at least 4 racks. Then I pressure cook a rack for between 5 and 10 minutes, depending on size & thickness. THEN after cooling off put them on the grill or on the hot coals of an open fire. They will be nice and tender.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Instead of the ribs how about one of the tenderloins depending on how many is in your crew.

Just searing them on a fold-able grate and some seasoning would be enough for a meal fit for a king.

I agree with CC on the pressure cooker for the ribs, or a nice BBQ sauce and boil them into submission.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’ve never cooked moose, but I think you’d do well to slow roast the ribs on a spit over an open fire - it would be difficult if the wind got up but if you could roast it 3-4’ over the fire for a couple hours I bet it would be good - and definitely very primal. I’ve done whitetails that way (ribs with back straps still attached) and it was good.