Moose Hunt Outfitters? DIY?

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
I'm trying to decide what to do for my first moose hunt. I was looking into Ontario guided or non-guided fly-in hunts. I was thinking Idaho at first but after hunting black bears there two years in a row and talking with locals and other hunters I don't think it's a great idea.

I'm 21, funds are limited and if I choose to do a hunt up north it will have to be one of my only trips for that year. Anybody with experience hunting up north or recommendations on outfitters would be great!

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
No experience in Ontario, but I've been twice to Northern BC. I know it isn't cheap, but a moose horse back hunt is an adventure. Do your homework and if you can go to the Wild Sheep Show in Reno this coming January you'll gain a lot of knowledge and FaceTime with outfitters. If you go go on the WILD SHEEP FOUNDATIONS exibitaors list and make a list who you want to spend time with. Right now you're probably looking at 2019 season. Feel free to pm me. Moose hunting Is addicting!

MapleHill

Nov 26, 2017
Central, NY
Newfoundland is the best bang for the buck. I haven't been (yet) but a very good friend has been 3 times, he took nice bulls every time as did everyone in his hunting party. They used Portland Creek Outfitters.

Last edited:

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I second Newfoundland if on the east coast
BC if on the left coast

Newfoundland is a great hunt. But treat yourself and do a fly in hunt.
IMO it's a better hunt than the drive in hunts.