Moose Decisions

elkhunter1983

Sep 15, 2013
I am going to Draw in Wyo this year for a moose tag and have it narrowed down to a couple of areas but am still indecisive and looking for a little input. My top choice is Area 1 but is not a done deal yet as I am looking for a bull in the 160" range give or take (not a score fanatic just looking for that good of a moose as its a once in a lifetime tag). Next choice but rapidy climbing in my mind is the 17,28 tag. I know the population just isn't there but I know some of the genetics still are. I guess what Im looking for is if anyone has any input as to how the quality was in the last few years if you saw them I would like to know. Disclaimer, I am a NR to wyo but just moved up to MT after living there for over 30yrs. I have hunted in both areas for elk and know them well. Any input would be appreciated.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
The areas around Jackson are down a bit. I would steer clear of 17,28. 1 would be good but the drive would be worth it to go hunt 26 or 24. Guess you have about 16 PP. If more I would definitely look at 38/41.

elkhunter1983

Sep 15, 2013
The areas around Jackson are down a bit. I would steer clear of 17,28. 1 would be good but the drive would be worth it to go hunt 26 or 24. Guess you have about 16 PP. If more I would definitely look at 38/41.

I have hunted with friends twice in area 38 for moose, lots of outfitters taking commissioners tags there and Im still years from drawing at least 3. I know the population is down but I have seen some 180 bulls come out of 17 and the neighboring area so they are in there.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I have hunted with friends twice in area 38 for moose, lots of outfitters taking commissioners tags there and Im still years from drawing at least 3. I know the population is down but I have seen some 180 bulls come out of 17 and the neighboring area so they are in there.
38 is a good choice, there's a reason the commission's tags are used there. I saw more huge Bulls there than I have seen anywhere else in Wyoming, area #1 included. I took a good bull around skull creek meadows in area #17, but that was 20 years ago. The population has crashed there. I wouldn't waste my points in #17...but that's JMO. I had a Cow moose tag in #38 the year before last, I had to hunt my butt off to get a cow without a calf....I saw mostly bulls for 7 days.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Good to hear about 17. Thanks for sharing that info. We only hear how down it has been.Can't imagine hunting moose in grizzly country.

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
Elkhunter, I'm in 38 ALL the time. Last year while shed hunting I saw 60+ Moose in a single day! Moose are always eating up my trail camera card in 38.

Last edited:

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Sounds like you are looking for a moose of a lifetime! 160 is a totally outrageous bull. I would say 140+ would be a more realistic goal in many of the best Wyo units. Depending upon the year, there may not be many 160" bulls alive in Wyoming...except possibly in one county! You might take a look at the most recent B&C book and it will give you an idea where the few recent 140+ bulls have been harvested.

With that said, I researched the heck out of moose prior to drawing quite a few years ago. I ended up drawing unit 1. The moose there are super easy to find all summer. Look for willows and you will find moose. Once there is a big frost the moose in unit 1 move DRAMATICALLY from the willow patches....which usually happens around the time the archery season opens. They switch feed and are tougher to locate. I scouted the heck out of 1 all summer and pretty much had every big bull named. I saw 1 bull that was close to 160 but he moved to an adjacent unit once the frost hit. I was glad I was forewarned about the moose moving after the frost because I wouldn't have scouted areas they tend to go once this happens....which are pretty much void of moose all summer.

If you are looking for B&C or nothing there are actually some pretty bad genetics in unit 1. There are quite a few giant bulls that have a spike on 1 side. If you seriously want B&C or nothing you better know how to field judge moose! There have hardly been any bulls that have ever made B&C with a spike on one side so this eliminates a lot of mature bulls in the Bighorns. Once ever few years there may be a whopper or 2 shot in the Bighorns so it should still be on your radar. I passed up several bulls with a spike on one side that were a lot more impressive than the bull I ended up harvesting....but wouldn't score diddly because of the spike. In fact, I passed a gigantic bull on opening morning that a guy watching me swore was 180ish. That particular bull had a spike on one side but incredible palms. Although he was impressive I doubt if he would have scored 130. Mine ended up having super long forked brows on both sides so that additional palm length added to the score.

If you want a high scoring B&C bull I'd take a look in the B&C books. There is one county where you may have a decent chance for 160 if you know how to judge/score bulls and spend an incredible amount of time researching, scouting, and hunting. There currently aren't any other units in Wyo that are remotely close for producing 160+ bulls on a fairly regular basis. I'll leave it up to you to do some detective work to figure out which county I am talking about!

elkhunter1983

Sep 15, 2013
Elkhunter, I'm in 38 ALL the time. Last year while shed hunting I saw 60+ Moose in a single day! Moose are always eating up my trail camera card in 38.

No disagreement on it being full of moose, I hunted there in college for elk and was constantly running into moose. Im just at least 2 yrs out from drawing if no one is banking points (like my brother in law did there 2 years ago). Here is a heck of a bull we found winter killed back in 06 in that area. not a scorer but a stud.

Moose.jpg

elkhunter1983

Sep 15, 2013

Very nice, I have seen some good ones in 38 for sure but am still a few years out from drawing at least. Here is a bull we found and then found winter killed the next spring. Not a scorer but a huge bull none the less.

Moose.jpg

elkhunter1983

Sep 15, 2013
jimms, it is a once in a lifetime tag. There are more 160 bulls floating than you think. Just in my small circles of friends that have drawn tags in the last 10 years only 1 bull has gone under 150, the rest are 155 plus with 2 being over 170 and they have been killed in different units all over the state. Field judging is not an issue really, Im more looking to see if anyone was on the ground in either unit last year and actually witnessed a really slammer of a bull or 2.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
elkhunter

There are some big bulls in 17/28 but overall there aren't many moose up there anymore due to wolf predation. I know of a 59" bull taken up there in 2015. I knew of 3 big bulls last fall, one in area X, one in area Y and one in area Z, 2 different counties. I only knew of them because I live in the area. I suspect if I lived near the Bighorns or the Snowies I would know of even more in those areas as they are the places to be these days. History shows Teton county to be the all time number one county for booners. Sublette, Lincoln and the Idaho county of Bonneville(?) round out the top 4. The genetics are here but the moose aren't here in the numbers they were before wolf introduction. I live here and if I draw another tag I'll still hunt here but I would suggest you try the bighorns or southern WY units...no wolves. A 160" bull is certainly a possibility in many areas but booners of any species are hard to come by. Keep in mind most of the competition aren't looking for trophies but rather one that is close to the truck.

Regarding the previous posters advice on spike brow bulls not scoring well I would tend to agree. That being said I have a 178 3/8" gross bull with a 48" spread in my garage right now that a guy shot with a bow last fall that has a spike brow palm on one side. I scored that bull and he will officially make the book at 157 3/8". The spike side had a 40" palm length, 10 inches longer than the 30" forked side. Ya it's kind of an anomaly.

Good Luck!

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Elkhunter1983, It sounds like you and your buddies already have Wyo moose figured out! I'm not exactly sure why you are asking for advice if your buddies have done so well and you have knowledge of so many units that have 150+ bulls? I still have my doubts there are many 160+ bulls roaming Wyo in any given year.....other than the 1 county I mentioned above. A 140+ bull is a monster in most Wyo units. You are making Wyo sound like Colo....which it aint even close!

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Uh, you need to get out more in Wyoming. Lots of those big Colorado bulls come visit us during the season. We have seen more moose than elk during archery seasons as of late. Colorado has some great moose hunting but Wyoming has great areas to hunt and with great bulls. I have seen the big ones.They are out there.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Uh, you need to get out more in Wyoming. Lots of those big Colorado bulls come visit us during the season. We have seen more moose than elk during archery seasons as of late. Colorado has some great moose hunting but Wyoming has great areas to hunt and with great bulls. I have seen the big ones.They are out there.
They sure are Wy-Tex. I've seen my share of big bulls. I won't live long enough to hunt them again, unless I draw a Lottery tag, LOL.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
No moose over 160 most years?

Found this one a few years back, it was killed that same year and if IIRC, it was north of 160.

He wasn't quite done growing yet when I took the picture.

Oh, and Wytex, I saw that bigger bull in the picture you provided, about a week before he was shot. I also have pictures of it after it was shot...impressive bull for sure.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
That pic was taken day before the season and I knew he wouldn't last long. Wish they wouldn't parade around by the highway. Remember they do have a random draw too. Someone has to draw the random tag , might as well be one of us.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I'm aware that there are likely more B&C moose shot in Wyo over the lifetime of B&C record books than any other state. However, once moose were established in Colo there has been no comparison for 160+ bulls. Moose in Wyo have suffered considerably in most units due to extended drought, wolves, and grizz. This is especially true in Teton and surrounding Counties that previously was noted for producing so many B&C bulls in the good ole days. The forage in Colo is virgin to moose grazing/browsing, no predators other than man, and the population throughout Colo continues to expand. Cows often have twins and triplets in Colo while calves in NW Wyo often come prey to wolves/grizz. Obviously along the Colo/Wyo border it's a totally different game...and moose have established well...similar to Colo!

Somebody please post pictures of all the 160 to 180 class bulls you are talking about running around the units outside the units along the Colo/Wyo border! From some of the posts it sounds like 160 bulls are common all over the state? I would guess there is an occasional bull of that class harvested in the Bighorns and possibly other scattered units in Western Wyo. I wish my membership to B&C didn't expire so I could look up how many 160+ B&C bulls have been harvested in Colo vs Wyo the past 10 years so we could put an end to this nonsense! My guess is most of the 160+ bulls are coming from 1 county in Wyo?

Buzz, looks like a 145ish bull to me...maybe? Although it's tough to tell from one picture and from 1 angle. I can see the points are just starting to appear on the top of his palms so he won't have very long main beams ....especially having little added to the overall palm length from his super deep but short front forks. If you are familiar with how B&C scores palm length you know exactly what I'm talking about.