Montana First Time

youngbuck2

Nov 4, 2016
Minnesota
Trying to put together a 2022 archery elk hunt. Montana is top of the list currently. Can anyone shed some light on the application/draw process and the points system. I have applied/purchased "bonus points" but from my research I think I should've applied for "preference points". So, are there units a NR can draw without points? (obviously theres always a chance) OTC/Leftover options? TIA

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
From my limited research, preference points get you the general tag and bonus points are for LE areas. I believe you can still buy a preference point until the 30th. I've never hunted Montana so I cant give you an honest opinion about the hunting.

youngbuck2

Nov 4, 2016
Minnesota
From my limited research, preference points get you the general tag and bonus points are for LE areas. I believe you can still buy a preference point until the 30th. I've never hunted Montana so I cant give you an honest opinion about the hunting.
Thanks for the feedback! I got one purchased!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
What happens if you apply for the general tag and get it then dont get the LQ tag you were actually trying to get? Do you still have to take the general tag and your preference points 0 out or can you turn everything back in and try again next year.

In other words, if a person ONLY wanted to hunt LQ areas would he basically have to keep trying every three years for a LQ tag or how ever long it took to draw the general tag?

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
What happens if you apply for the general tag and get it then dont get the LQ tag you were actually trying to get? Do you still have to take the general tag and your preference points 0 out or can you turn everything back in and try again next year.

In other words, if a person ONLY wanted to hunt LQ areas would he basically have to keep trying every three years for a LQ tag or how ever long it took to draw the general tag?
I think you get an 80% refund on the tag if you turn it in by August, unless theyve changed it. If you dont apply for the general tag every 2 or 3 years you lose your preference points. If i remember right they have an option on the app to refund the general tag if you dont draw the limited tag.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Thats what I figured. Kinda stinks for planning purposes. At $50 a point a guy better know for certain he has enough bonus points to make it worth their while or they will be waiting three more years to apply. I wonder how long it will be before they enact the same thing with bonus points.....apply to a lq area every 5 years or you loose your points.

What a ponzi scheme.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’ve been kinda wondering the same thing. I’d like to try and hunt Montana next year on my way back from hunting Idaho (wife won’t be too pleased, but oh well!) can a guy get a general tag with no preference point? I completely forgot to put in for that. I overheard someone saying if you were to apply for the combo licence you have better odds of drawing???

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey all, just as an FYI Dan Pickar explains all of this in the State Overview for Montana in the MRS and in the Montana State page in TagHub.