Montana Black Bear- Need advice

jonesk0473

May 30, 2017
Next year I would like to do a Montana spring black bear hunt with rifle. I would love some advice on public areas that are large that I could hunt and camp on/near to. Thanks in advance!

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Hey Jones, welcome aboard. Jump over to the new member section and introduce yourself and give it a little time and people will warm up to you and share info. There are a great bunch of guys and gals on here but every year when tags come out lots of new people that turn out to be one post wonders. Not saying that is you because you are asking about next year. Good luck and God bless

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Do some of your own research and narrow down your question to a specific mountain range or two. That will show these guys you're serious about actually doing a bear hunt out there. There are several million acres of public land in Montana and there are plenty of black bears on a lot of it. Lots of grizz in places also. Make sure to study up on the difference between the two. I would also call a few biologists out there and pick their brains on a few spots to key in on. Good luck!

jonesk0473

May 30, 2017
I'm pretty familiar with identifying black bear vs grizzley. At home I've seen plenty black bear in my lifetime but it's very difficult to get one hunting without the use of bait. I also look at side by side comparisons of the two types and took an identification test. I don't like the idea of baiting a bear to get it which seems about the only way to get one in Arkansas so I wanna go farther north. And I have about 30 links saved on public land access for Montana and I've been sifting through it slowly. It's difficult to know if the land would be good. I'll narrow down to a few places and come back though!