Missing some forum friends

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Sorry about your buddy jim . He looks like a real character, i love talking to guys like that. Early this summer i took a family vacation to ocean isle. We stayed on the mainland overlooking the intracoastal Waterway. The neighbor had lived there his whole life and the house we stayed in used to be his brothers. His family at one time owned all the land and farmed it. I talked to him for a long time and he told me a lot of hunting stories. They used to hunt on the island when they were kids . The whole island was empty before it became tourist trap. Anyways Guys like that who have seen a whole lot ....( experienced) they have so much to tell the younger guys if we just shut up and listen

Last edited:

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I was searching for some old members I interacted with and see there isn’t much from a group of folks that I felt like were buddies. I myself had a long hiatus for various reasons but glad to be back, just wish those folks were still active too. I guess I’ve missed a lot. Reading this thread in my search, I thought it was a great idea for some sort of gathering with forum members. Food for thought…

Reactions: ScottR

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Agree Fins. This is why I reached out to you. :) I knew you came to Ohio in the fall for WT. There are a number of guys I reach out to 1x year if I've not seen them as I valued their input and friendship. Some I've moved to direct contact outside EF for various reasons.

If you send someone a pm, the EF will notify them they have a message via e-mail. I've done this a number of times over the years. There is one forum member that simply vanished from the internet and I fear the worst. However, I never found record. EF member- "HogsFly"

I try to meet various EF members in my travels when I can. Even if only for a cup of coffee at truck stop or dinner while hunt-traveling.
I have a few reservations yet to fulfill, but hopefully soon.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Several years ago someone brought up the idea of a member get together. There are quite a few state parks that have group camping areas. I think it would be a lot of fun to get together for a weekend (or more) so we can meet other forum members. Anyone have other ideas ?

What say you...................?

i like this idea!!!!!

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Agree Fins. This is why I reached out to you. :) I knew you came to Ohio in the fall for WT. There are a number of guys I reach out to 1x year if I've not seen them as I valued their input and friendship. Some I've moved to direct contact outside EF for various reasons.

If you send someone a pm, the EF will notify them they have a message via e-mail. I've done this a number of times over the years. There is one forum member that simply vanished from the internet and I fear the worst. However, I never found record. EF member- "HogsFly"

I try to meet various EF members in my travels when I can. Even if only for a cup of coffee at truck stop or dinner while hunt-traveling.
I have a few reservations yet to fulfill, but hopefully soon.
One of these days we will meet up being state neighbors

Reactions: Bonecollector

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Jim is on FB a lot. He just sold his home and relocated. UH
MM had some family losses and was down for awhile. I messaged him over a year ago and he said his life had changed and wasn’t really into the forums anymore
BB is on IG and doing well. I think he has also moved on but is still heavily in the Outdoor community just on other platforms
Yes, Matt became fairly deeply involved in a few other forums and time for multiple places was the issue. I still occasionally talk with him other places and he is doing well.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If you guys do a get together I will gladly chip in hats for you all to wear, maybe a few other things.

Maybe there might be an opportunity at a live event like Expo to meet somewhere and visit.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My wife and I are doing a deferred road trip this summer throughout the SW and up to the NW from Minnesota. I regretted not stopping to see Roger (AKA Colorado Cowboy) on a trip several years ago, and plan to contact him before I head out this summer. I have a guest cabin on the lake where I live that is open to any forum member who needs a summer get-away.

Bill (AKA Bonecollector) I have your number; I'll call you soon. My life-long frugality is butting up against my life cycle, so it's time to consider my options.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
My wife and I are doing a deferred road trip this summer throughout the SW and up to the NW from Minnesota. I regretted not stopping to see Roger (AKA Colorado Cowboy) on a trip several years ago, and plan to contact him before I head out this summer. I have a guest cabin on the lake where I live that is open to any forum member who needs a summer get-away.

Bill (AKA Bonecollector) I have your number; I'll call you soon. My life-long frugality is butting up against my life cycle, so it's time to consider my options.
yeah- we need to put something together

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
Good to hear some of the old members are doing good. I miss those guys too. I was actually worried about MM for a while. He was so active here then just all the sudden was gone. He was quite the character.
I know what you guys mean about friends, I feel I’ve made some here I’ve never met. Maybe someday

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Since I was one who mentioned a get together, I am open to suggestions. Lots of us have rv's and tents, so maybe a campout would be one .

First question is obviously where? Lots of campgrounds have group camping, Colorado State Parks for one. We could also do a dry camping event on public land.....NF or BLM, lots of possibilities there too. We could meet at one of the outdoor shows. Or..........???

Next when? late spring/early summer or ???

What sat you?

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I would love to get together but the reality is at this stage in my life it’s not likely going to happen. I can barely get a week of to go hunting and I don’t take much time off with the wife. If I were to tell her I was going to take time off work to meet up with some guys I chat with on a forum, well I would have lots of time then. But I like my wife way more that you guys, no offense!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The logistics of getting a group of people together is one of the hardest things to try and accomplish. Even more so when we are scattered across the country.

About the best that we could hope for is for a few of us to meet up at a time to enjoy each other's stories and tales.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I plan to be on the road thru most of August and will cover most of the western states (except for the left coast), so I'm flexible within that time frame. May and June are out.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I think it a really good idea also. I would be surprised if more than a few guys would make it . If you put pins on the map to where some of us live its quite the spread. I would love to come meet some of you guys as well but the brutal honesty for me is similar it timber stalker. I still have kids in school , all there sporting events, work, wife.... and with a few weeks of vacation a year there's only so much I can do .
My non bias opinion ( since i won't be able to make it ) is to try and pick somewhat of a central location,within reason, pick a date and go for it. Whoever can make it great . Its too hard to try and schedule something around everyone.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you start with Denver as a location, a 600 mile circle covers most of the country west of Kansas City, NW of Dallas, all of New Mexico, Arizona NW of Phoenix, Nevada East of Las Vegas, almost all of Idaho, All of Wyoming most of M0ntana and the Dakotas and almost to Minneapolis . That's a lot of the country and 600 miles is not all that far to drive.

Get a US map and then figure how far you are willing to drive from home. Draw a circle of that distance and see where you come up with.

Reactions: DRUSS and JimP