Miracle shot

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Here's a coyote that I got while snowmobiling in Montana last year. As a retired police officer, I have a CC that is valid in all the states, and in today's world find that I am packing most of the time. We were snowmobiling in ID,WY, & MT, and I had checked the laws on yotes and was good to go if the opportunity came up. Anyway, I found this guy trucking across a field about 50 yards away & headed for the hills when I popped him with one shot from my .380 micro Kimber. Right thru the heart; he did a somersault and was DRT. The guys I was with were totally amazed, but I just acted like it was an everyday occurrence. This was a lesson learned from Patrick McManus's "The Miracle Shot". I had a hat made from the fur, and wear it on "special occasions".
Sorry, For some reason I can't add the photos????

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
funny how wether one screws up or does something grand ,the question is the same, DID ANYONE SEE THAT!

CONGRATS ON YOUR SHOOTING.
no lead,
no dead!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
For me it was miracle shots!

A friend and I were hunting Chukar with my wonderful Springer Spaniel, Tuck. We had just started hunting and were working up a ridge to a big lava outcropping. Those of you that hunt Chukar know how they love Lava rocks. Tuck started acting really "birdy". I was shooting a sxs Spanish made 20 ga that was a really good bird gun (I still shoot it 40 years later). A pair of birds flushed, one ahead, one behind me. I swung on the rear bird, down it went. Turned and dumped the front bird. Broke the gun and reloaded as 2 more birds flushed. I popped both of them too. 4 birds, 4 shots and never moved a step . Limit was 4 and I was done. All my buddy said was "Smart Ass" as he started laughing.

I love upland bird hunting and in 60 years of shooting Pheasants, Quail, Chukar and Huns, this is the one I remember most. Miracle....maybe, but surely some skill and luck involved too!

I know this is on the Predator thread, but I couldn't resist!

Last edited:

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Here's a coyote that I got while snowmobiling in Montana last year. As a retired police officer, I have a CC that is valid in all the states, and in today's world find that I am packing most of the time. We were snowmobiling in ID,WY, & MT, and I had checked the laws on yotes and was good to go if the opportunity came up. Anyway, I found this guy trucking across a field about 50 yards away & headed for the hills when I popped him with one shot from my .380 micro Kimber. Right thru the heart; he did a somersault and was DRT. The guys I was with were totally amazed, but I just acted like it was an everyday occurrence. This was a lesson learned from Patrick McManus's "The Miracle Shot". I had a hat made from the fur, and wear it on "special occasions".
Sorry, For some reason I can't add the photos????
Holy cow...a running 50 yard shot with a .380!!! Miracle or not, that's darn good shooting!! Nice job!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
DSCN0410.jpgI am a so-so shotgunner, a respectable rifle shot, and have always been a superb pistol shot. I think it goes back to my days as a police officer when I was on the state pistol team using my Colt Python. When I attended the FBI Academy 25 years ago, I missed the "Possibles Board" by one shot. I always have blamed the bee that stung me while I was taking one of the long shots.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
View attachment 19970I am a so-so shotgunner, a respectable rifle shot, and have always been a superb pistol shot. I think it goes back to my days as a police officer when I was on the state pistol team using my Colt Python. When I attended the FBI Academy 25 years ago, I missed the "Possibles Board" by one shot. I always have blamed the bee that stung me while I was taking one of the long shots.
Cool history there. One of my favorite things about the forum is hearing where everyone comes from!

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
As kids we were always out in the woods and we were about 19 years old and working at the local lumber mill in southern Oregon. Bought a new smith 357 with our first checks. While out bowhunting one fall we were driving to our spot for the night hunt a group of mountain quail run across the road rite in front of us. I slammed on the breaks and as i jumped out of the truck I swapped the hollow points in my pistol for snake shot i always kept in the door. My buddy bad no clue that i did that. We walked about 5 yards into the brush and as i stepped up on a big rock one bird took off from rite below and i hit it on the wing and a second that came out at the report. Buddy rusbes to one of the birds and couldn't belive I had bit it or that it wasnt exploded. The look of his face was priceless as he tbought I'd done not once but twice hit quail on the wing with my 357. When we got back to the truck he caught me swapping back to the hollow points and then called me a bunch of names for letting him think I had done the impossible. Lol

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
My very first year hunting when I was 12 years old back in 1972 we were on my grandfather's place hunting antelope in central Montana. We were traveling on a two track on the ranch and came up over a rise and there were about 20 head of antelope feeding. My dad got out and shot and missed. They all ran over the knoll and out of site with the afterburners on. My dad and I had ran about 50 yards from the truck and I was about 20 yards from him. Just like that it was all over.

We were going to get back to the truck and try and find some other's we could put a sneak on when the group we had just jumped came running back towards us traveling full out at about 60 mph! Before we could even react most had ran past us and were past the pickup and crossed by us at about 60 yards. Trailing the group was a nice buck and a doe and then about 30 yards behind them came another really nice buck. Now being just 12 years old and not knowing that I probably shouldn't shoot at a speeding antelope with little chance of hitting it and making a good shot, I leveled my 6mm Remington (Remington Model 600 with a K4 Weaver scope) and led the first buck by what I thought was the appropriate distance and squeezed the trigger. My father fired at exactly the same instant shooting at the last buck in the bunch.

With what sounded like one shot and three antelope hit the deck! I remember jumping up and down saying I got him over and over again. I hit the buck at the back of the lungs in the ribs and just when I fired, the doe was on the far side of him. I hit her in about the same spot and they both dropped. They were done, but we put another bullet into each antelope so they wouldn't suffer.

So there we have it. First big-game animal, first big-game hunt, and I drop two antelope with one shot! I'll always remember that day.

David