Minimalist hunting/hiking boots?

Huntinguy0120

May 29, 2012
Northern CA
Closest thing to it, Danner Jackals, but your feet will get wet.. In terms of comfort and weight they feel like sneakers, but provide ample ankle support to cover miles in rough terrain

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
I finally found some! Feelmax Kuuva boots. They are supposed to be water resistant. Will see how they stack up against cactus this week for my Mom's pronghorn hunt.

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
Used them on my Mom's antelope hunt this weekend. They are really light and not too hot. Not the most impervious stuff to cactus. But only had two poke throughs. One got just right in the seam the other was a stout spine that went all the way through the sole. But so far I am happy with them. Will try them out elk hunting this weekend.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I enjoy barefoot running, but when I have a pack on my back full of meat, I dont want to have barefoot/minimalist boots on. It's hard enough on my feet and joints with regular hiking boots on. Just my 2 cents though. Keep the post going though, I wantto know how the boots perform and how your body holds up if you have to pack and elk this year.

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
I concur with twp1224. I think walking downhill with a pack full of meat in minimalist boots could cause some damage to your feet.

The point of the minimalist shoes is that they accentuate the natural way the body is supposed to run, IE: No Heal Strike, and shock is absorbed in your calf and quad. Now when you look at how the body is supposed to walk, this movement includes a heal strike and the shock is absorbed in the arch and heal pad of your foot.

My thought is that the arch and heal pad are able to absorb the shock associated with walking under one's body weight, but not with an additional 60-90 lbs of pack and gear.

I have been running in barefoot shoes for a couple of years (ran 6 miles over lunch today), and I still wear regular boots for work (Army Infantry officer) and hunting. I think the barefoot shoes do alot more to condition my legs, and have improved my overall performance out in the mountains.

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
Good points. I will find out once I have a loaded pack on. I did have some Inov 8's I used last year but the way they were built really made me pronate bad. But I didn't have any real issues with pack weight. Didn't kill anything so can't comment on a completely loaded pack. But I did have knee issues with my ankle rolling in.

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
Murdy-

Things have changed a little bit;) there are quite a few aftermarket boots you can use now (I currently rotate lowa's and nike's). When I was is AFG I actually wore civilian model hiking boots. I am sure as we quit fighting we will revert back to the strict uniformity. When I came in it was four pair of green jungle boots (2 spit polished for garrison and 2 pair with toecaps removed and Sierra soles for the field).

I really like my meindel denalis for hunting.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
Yeah, that was 20 years ago for me, I think we had 3 choices (speed lace, jungle, jump, & maybe whatever preceded speed lace). Also got the first issue of Rockies, but can't remember if we could wear them at our discretion.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I'm a Meindel man myself... Unfortunately, just like most things, you need both. It like having -15 sleeping bag and a 40 degree sleeping bag, 2 completely different uses. I completely agree with some sturdy ankle support but if you are just doing day hunts, it's just too much boot for early season hunts. If something goes down, I come out, get a pack frame, boots and away I go to retrieve.

For me... On a daily basis of 1 day hunts from the truck, it's as light as possible.

Dito... Where did you buy them? I can only find them in Europe. Or at least in Euro currency.

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
I'm a Meindel man myself... Unfortunately, just like most things, you need both. It like having -15 sleeping bag and a 40 degree sleeping bag, 2 completely different uses. I completely agree with some sturdy ankle support but if you are just doing day hunts, it's just too much boot for early season hunts. If something goes down, I come out, get a pack frame, boots and away I go to retrieve.

For me... On a daily basis of 1 day hunts from the truck, it's as light as possible.

Dito... Where did you buy them? I can only find them in Europe. Or at least in Euro currency.
Got them here: http://www.giftsfromfinland.com/ I think there is another company that makes minimalist hiking boots as well but I couldn't find the info so I just went with the feelmax.

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
Decided to come back early from the elk hunt since we weren't seeing anything and antelope hunt tomorrow instead. Nice to have hunting areas close by! The boots feel good during normal hiking. But I did trip a little and during recovering myself slammed my foot down hard on a rock. Hurt my heel a little. Also the soles aren't the best for traction. Stepping on wet sticks made me feel like I was going to go ice skating. But I'll keep trying them out and will have to use them since I've used them.

I also found these other options that I had talked about: http://www.russellminimalistfootwear.com/ http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-off-road-hi-dark-brown?zlfid=2

OregonSean

May 13, 2013
I've fought wildfire for years and I've found the Nicks boots to fit really well with the minimalist style. Yes they have a thick sole and a heal but they are not cushioned. Wore regular hiking boots on a hunt in NZ this past winter for the first time in 5 years and my knees and back hurt so bad. Never again. I also wear Surf booties. But be warned, surf booties stink really bad from all the sweat. Just some food for thought.