Military ILBE Pack

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Has anybody tried the U.S. Marine's ILBE (Improved Load Bearing Equipment) pack? I just bought one specifically because I am a handgun hunter, and this is the most adaptable pack that I have found for that purpose.

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they are not well loved by our Marines, and will be replaced at some point soon with Mystery Ranch packs. I am an Army guy, but from talking with some marines it sounds like the design is good (Arc'teryx) execution/quality/materials is poor (Propper). Lots of broken buckles, heavy, etc.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they are not well loved by our Marines, and will be replaced at some point soon with Mystery Ranch packs. I am an Army guy, but from talking with some marines it sounds like the design is good (Arc'teryx) execution/quality/materials is poor (Propper). Lots of broken buckles, heavy, etc.
Thanks for the input. I had heard those criticisms, but most of those I saw were directed at the Gen. 1 version. The Gen 2 packs have larger and heavier constructed buckles. I thought it was a great meat pack. They are heavy, but much of that comes from the internal frame.

Apparition

Jan 26, 2014
Pine Grove, PA
I use one for hunting/backpacking, it works, could be lighter, but Im cheap and not going to spend 400 plus on a pack. I did a back pack archery hunt in Montana last year, carried all I needed and then some, and it was comfortable, well as comfortable as a pack can be with 75lbs in it.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
Hey Sawfish,
I have one and it's a good sturdy pack as far as I'm concerned. I put 2 boned out pronghorn does in mine and packed them out in one trip, glad I didn't have to pack them too far! I ended up with an Eberliestock X1E too it's a good pack for handgunning as well, won't carry as big a load as the ILBE and not quite as versatile but doesn't weigh as much either.

Bob

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hey Sawfish,
I have one and it's a good sturdy pack as far as I'm concerned. I put 2 boned out pronghorn does in mine and packed them out in one trip, glad I didn't have to pack them too far! I ended up with an Eberliestock X1E too it's a good pack for handgunning as well, won't carry as big a load as the ILBE and not quite as versatile but doesn't weigh as much either.

Bob
I bought a Badlands 2200 on Camofire, which was an okay pack, just not conducive to handgun hunting for me. I think this ILBE is going to be okay. I bought the first one which is a Gen 1 on the last day of a gun show for $40. It was in very good+ condition, but the belt was a non-matching Gen 2, and it did not have a lid. This is going to be the down and dirty meat packer. Bought a brand new Gen 2 with new belt, new lid, etc.; plus an excellent condition assault pack as a combo deal from Blackstar Surplus for $140 on E-Bite. Considerably than one of the current model "designer" packs. I am anxious to put it to use this year.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I bought 2 of these and I am really impressed with their load carrying capacities and comfort. I called him instead of buying off the bay. Super nice guy and he shipped them fast. I don't know of you are prior service or not, but if you are you'll appreciate his system even more. I know what these frames can carry, and his modifications make them even better. Couldn't be happier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meat-Pack-Frame-with-handmade-meat-or-cargo-sling-/150694235727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316138e4f

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squirrel tail

Aug 28, 2012
Dillon MT
i have a question what is it that you need in a handgun hunting pack since i haven't done any but i do have an intrest in it
... i dont know what pack would make the job easier

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Took me a bit to remember. I am using the older version of this pack. Its not the greatest pack in the world but it has worked fine for me over the years.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
i have a question what is it that you need in a handgun hunting pack since i haven't done any but i do have an intrest in it
... i dont know what pack would make the job easier
I am speaking of larger scoped handguns like the Savage Striker, Rem. XP-100, and T/C Encore. The issue that I had with the Badlands 2200 was the same as I have had with others, pack was too short and lacked attaching points where I needed them. The IBLE is considerably longer, and has a perfect arrangement for carrying larger handguns on either side, with plenty of attaching points.