Mikes Knee

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Question for Mike/Guy or Eastman staff.
I know that Mike had a knee replacement recently and was curious as to how he is doing? I am facing the same issue with my knee, but do not want to quit hiking the mountains. I would rather deal with the pain rather than having to quit chasing critters.
Was it a good thing having it done?
Has anybody else had to face this?

mattm

Feb 27, 2011
Moab, Utah, United States
I have a good friend that had both knees done last October. She had a tough rehab, but by New Years she was able to do a difficult 5-7 mile hike in Canyon Lands National Park. Before the surgery she wouldn't have been able to do this hike.

jughead

Mar 6, 2011
Alaska or Colorado or Nevada
I will be in that same boat next year or so...arthritis and having no meniscus in my right knee has taken it's toll. And while I can't offer my own personal experience, from a professional view point (I am a retired health care scientist) if your ortho doc says it is time, then it likely is time to do it. A second opinion may put your mind at ease.
Putting it off will make things worse. Once you decide to get it done, follow up with physical therapy. That is really critical.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
My father had total knee replacement a couple years ago. Within a few months he was getting around better than he had the last 15 years and said he just wished he had done it sooner. We spent 4 days in the NM mountains in October and he did fine. The materials and technology they have today are amazing.

Mike

Eastmans' Staff
Feb 21, 2011
I waited until it was so painful that I couldn't sleep at night and was dragging it around. I would recommend waiting until you can't handle it then have it fixed. Its been a year and its better then the old one. But in my case it still isn't right. The thing makes noise while walking. My foot gets colder easier then before. Some people just go on like it was a new knee. Me its taking longer. I think I use it heavier then most. Good Luck on a new one. Mike

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I waited until it was so painful that I couldn't sleep at night and was dragging it around. I would recommend waiting until you can't handle it then have it fixed. Its been a year and its better then the old one. But in my case it still isn't right. The thing makes noise while walking. My foot gets colder easier then before. Some people just go on like it was a new knee. Me its taking longer. I think I use it heavier then most. Good Luck on a new one. Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciate the info!

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
My dad has had both knee's replaced and his is soooooooooo much happier. He could hardly walk it was so painful for him. He does a heck of a lot better now. I ruptured a Patella Tendon in my left knew about 4 years ago and had it operated on. Everything went well until I started PT and I noticed that my brain would tell my leg to move but there was a split second lag time before the leg would move. Not my fault of the doctor's, but somehow the tendon had stretched so he had to go back in right away and cut the tendon, clean up the end AGAIN, and put it back together. It was a tough journey, but I'm glad I had it fixed properly or it could have caused me problems with all the hunting, hiking, and snowshoeing I like to do. Get it done!

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I've had both shoulders "fixed" and couldn't be happier about the results with those, so I guess I'll do the knee when the time comes. But I do think I'll take Mikes advice and wait until I can't stand it any more.
Thanks everyone!

Mike

Eastmans' Staff
Feb 21, 2011
The guy down the creek had his knee done by the same doctor and he is a doctor and he is doing great. I just think in my case I got on it to soon. Plus the doc had a bad day. But it is better as far as pain goes. I think by this fall I can do a backpack hunt. Oh it does click like a caribou. However my wife Bertie said she can't hear it just me. Jerry just wait until it gets to where you can enjoy hunting and it hurts to much and then have it done. Your wife will like it. Mike

skeeterdriftwood

Jan 10, 2014
Sorry about your luck Mike, had mine replaced four years ago and was riding my horse in two weeks. My oldest daughter and I went Elk hunting in the flat tops a month later and did a considerable amount of riding and walking.I realy haven't had much trouble, but I still do a hundred or so squats a couple times a week. Last week though I got clipped from behind by my male labrador, and shure found out it is not invincible. When you get the knee done, do the therapy. If you can stand it hook up with a therapist before the surgury and build those muscle up ahead of time.

hoshour

Veteran member
I had my left knee replaced 6 years ago. The doctors told me repeatedly to wait until I just couldn't take it anymore. That was for two reasons - one, I was in my early 50s (a doc had taken out all the cartilage in that knee when I was in high school), and two, they wear out and replacing them is no fun.

Now, I think you go to the best knee replacement surgeon in the state or region where you live, the one who does knee replacements day in and day out. Also, the one who did mine said he could eventually just replace the articulating surfaces without having to replace the whole thing.

Since being replaced my knee is fantastic. It took a year or so for my leg to be completely strong and flexible, but I can do anything I want now except that it's not good to run on it much or to jump up and down. Otherwise, there's nothing I can't do and that includes multiple days of serious hiking.