Medora, N. Dakota mulies

knowlzy1824

Mar 30, 2011
Hey guys, new guy here from Indiana. I am heading out to Medora to hunt mulies in Sept. and was wondering if you guys had some input on tactics, gear and so on. It will be an archery hunt and the area is considered the Badlands, property is just north of Roosevelt Park. I have hunted antelope in the area multiple times so I am familiar with the property. I will be using an Athens Affliction at 90lbs, flying Easton Full Metal Jackets tipped with Rage 2 blades. One concern I have is camo patterns, I have been looking heavily into Predator Brown Deception but am open to any suggestions. Lastly what do you guys think is some good essential gear for muley spot and stalk hunting? I have some experience hunting western game animals, taken an antelope with my bow and missed an archery elk last year in CO. (I see that arrow fall short everyday). Thanks in advance for the help.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I've bowhunted muleys in that area with my Dad a lot, and have yet to take a buck. It's tough hunting spot and stalk, as the terrain does not allow you to watch the deer bed. They usually travel up creeks and ravines, disappear, and then go another 1/4 mile or more to bed. That being said, sitting heavily used trails at creek crossings and saddles is probably your best bet. I've also heard baiting can be productive, but have never tried it. Your main problem filling a tag will be the fact that there are a fraction of the deer now that there were 3 years ago. A string of bad winters, and giving out too many rifle tags has decimated the herd. The G&F website claims about a 25% reduction in numbers from last year, and add that upon about a 50% loss the year before. We've spent enough time out there hunting and shed hunting in the spring to know that their estimates fall short in many areas. It's so bleak, we're not even heading to the west side this year, just whitetail hunting in SE Nodak. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I believe it will be a long road to recovery for muleys in ND, if it can happen at all. I look forward to hearing of your hunt, and hope you have a great time in some of the most beautiful country you will ever set your eyes upon. If you have time, stop in Belfield at the restaurant/motel with the deer statues in front, and look at all the nice mounts inside. Most were taken with archery equipment by the owner.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Lastly what do you guys think is some good essential gear for muley spot and stalk hunting?
Good glass, handy range finder, quiet clothes (shoes especially). I don't think a wind indicator is that important you won't be able to get close stalking unless the wind is ample enough to cover up your sound. I also have a pair of ole tom kneepads I wear sometimes on a long stalk, keeps the catcus and sticks from poking my knee caps and makes it more comfortable if I get close to a bedded deer and have to end up waiting a few hours for him to stand up.

Drew

Feb 21, 2011
MN
It will be an archery hunt and the area is considered the Badlands, property is just north of Roosevelt Park. I have hunted antelope in the area multiple times so I am familiar with the property.
Also you say property, are you hunting private land or USPS land?

miller1

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
I have been out there 2 times and live to hunt that terrain but it can be tough hunting, like crimson arrow said, the deer go into the ravines abd bed in the trees and scrub brush and you will never see them, i went in october and the 1st time it hit 90° for a few days. We went about 10 miles north east of grassy butte, i will definetly be going back. I think for camo any open country camo will be fine, when glassing stay off the peaks and in the shade so they dont skyline you, the badlands are like inverted mountains. have fun, knowlzy, what part of indiana are you from?

Attachments

Last edited:

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
For anyone coming out to ND to hunt mule deer, here are the results from the Game and Fish survey this spring.
http://gf.nd.gov/multimedia/news/2011/05/110502.html
Numbers are obviously down. Also, they extended the application deadline one week due to all of the flooding in the state so if you want to apply in ND, you have until I believe the 15th. And I might be biased, but I think that ND is very under rated for its mule deer hunting. I mean I wouldn't expect to hunt 2 days and shoot a monster but their are a decent amount of nice bucks and lots of public land in the Little Missouri National Grasslands.