Mandatory CWD testing

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just received a gift in the mail from Colorado Parks & Wildlife. My area was "selected" for a mandatory CWD test of any elk taken on our upcoming hunt. It is good to know what is happening in regards to CWD, but it will likely be a huge PIA to follow what is requited. First of all, the entire head has to be brought to a registration station. We will be camped 2 miles from the truck, and hunt further in from camp. I have a cow tag, and my partners have an "any elk" tag, and will likely shoot a cow if no bulls present themselves. 3 to 5 trips per animal to pack out, and 20 lbs. or so was now added. When I last scouted this area, the bull I saw would have required 34 man miles to pack out. (5 trips, out & back)
The other issue is that we have to get to a check station during business hours, and may expect a lengthy wait. It's a 20 hour drive back home, and if we miss the window it may require another overnight stay with meat in the coolers.
Just venting here, as I know that they have to get a handle on this scourge. On the plus side, CO P&W have numerous check stations, and have expanded hours, and some 7 days a week. The one most convenient for us would be Walden that is open Fr. - Tu. 8-5:30 Aug. 16-Nov. 30.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
That sucks. Guess if you skin the head, cut the cheek muscles and remove the lower jaw and tongue, that'll save some weight anyway.
Is there a punishment for just leaving the mountain and heading home without checking in a head?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd just call the main office and ask them what to do.

Who knows, they may even send you some information on how to remove the lymph glands in the neck which is all they really want.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
You'd be doing us all a favor if you shared the response to that call. I got the same letter and have the same concern. Where I'll be hunting I'll only be 2-ish miles "in", but it's extremely rough terrain. I fractured my heel there 2 years ago and still feel it. It's a productive area, worth some risk, but anything to save weight or trips on a pack-out is a Good Thing™.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Just take the glands, you dont need the full head. plenty of videos on it. I dont waste my energy packing out heads

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
When the local game warden was checking us last year. He told us do it if we can but not to worry if it didn't get done.
There is no real checking up on it and no punishment if you don't do it. They're just trying to get more people to do it.
This was a year ago. Might be stricter now.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Interestingly, CPW has a video on the lymph node extraction on their CWD page:

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I contacted CO P&W and spoke to someone at the Steamboat Springs office. I was told that just submitting the lymph nodes was acceptable.
To access the video on the removal process, type in CWD in the search box, then the top line is "Everything Videos" Click on Videos.
Pretty straightforward, but I think that removing the lymph nodes is not intuitive and that the video shows the process very well. I'll twist some arms and tell my hunt partners to watch it also. Thanks taskswap