making ready

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
100 grain Steel adapters attached to the 125 grain woodsman heads. With weight washers, Im at a 230 grain, 3 blade broadhead for a 500 grain total arrow weight. Time to start sharpening for This seasons, Idaho elk, WI, IN, OH and TX whitetail hunts.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Looks like you have enough there to thin out the herd.
Where you been,you only come out of hiding during the season?Lol! :cool:

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Looks like you have enough there to thin out the herd.
Where you been,you only come out of hiding during the season?Lol! :cool:
Busy as heck with my bowhunting products company. This is my busy time of year as everybody wants Broadhead sharpeners. And I work for a few other bowhunting products companies designing their products for them to bring to market.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Busy as heck with my bowhunting products company. This is my busy time of year as everybody wants Broadhead sharpeners. And I work for a few other bowhunting products companies designing their products for them to bring to market.
Guy was asking about Broadheads a while back,sent him your way...
Just to add to the "Busy as Heck" time of year. :cool:

Reactions: Stay Sharp

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
In preparation of archery Elk in Idaho, Ive been shooting my big fixed blade heads out to 60 yards (I have a 5 pin sight with pins set at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards) but last night I tried a little hold over shooting broadheads at 70 yards. On the target I made, I placed 2 strips of tape that are 30" apart which represents the top of the back and bottom of brisket of an adult bull. The spots I sprayed on the foam are 6". Ive been shooting 4 arrow rounds. I pick a different spot for each arrow to avoid wrecking stuff except for 70 yards since Im just gapping so I shoot for only the center bullseye. A few more weeks to practice.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Sure! its only 9 days until I depart for my Idaho Elk bowhunt so why not change my mind on the arrows I plan to use and start a totally new arrow build that is stiffer ( to tame these 250 grain broadheads) and is 40 grains heavier. No worries. ;-)

My prior build was a GT hunter XT 400 spine but Im seeing a little whip with the 250 grain heads so Im going stiffer to a 300 spine after trying a few. Total arrow weight will be 540 grains. Time to start building.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
I finished the first dozen of the new arrow build today and also finished sharpening the first dozen of my 230 grain woodsman heads. I use flat diamond plates in grits of 400,600,800,1200, 2500 and them lap them on ceramic plates to a mirror finish of razor sharpness. I mounted them on steel adapters and spun all to be true. No, Woodsman heads are not gold. They come black but we get to customize things to our whims.

9 days until I depart for the elk hunt. Here is a 30 second video of pointy thing goodness. These will travel with me from Idaho to Wisconsin, to Indiana to Ohio and Texas.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Sure I depart for Idaho elk season in only 6 days but why not buy a new sight with smaller pins and start over sighting in out to 70 yards. Now I have 4 of these sights for different arrows ranging from 390 grains to 450 to 540 to 700 grain arrows. Just slide one sight out of the dovetail, slide in a different sight, swap arrows and you are in the game no matter which species and location on the globe, Im hunting without all sorts of sighting in over and over.