Making Leather Hunting Boots Last

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
I have almost new Danner East Ridge 800g Thinsulate Gortex liner boots. I've been breaking them in for the past few months (local hikes, and a camping/fishing trip) and just doing basic cleaning afterwards.

Of course, I want them to last as long as possible. I know from past experience that mud and water will break boots down fast if they are not taken care of. So what tips do you have and what are the best water proofing & dressing products that are proven to work?

Of course, Danner has their own line of products that may or may not be that great.

http://www.danner.com/east-ridge-8-realtree-xtra-800g.html?currency=USD&gclid=CPSAk7Xd-M0CFQ2QaQod50EFmA

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've used the same solution that my dad made up a very long time ago. It is a combination of kerosene, animal fat, and bees wax, it has never failed me. Other than that on my work boots I used Sno-Seal and it works quite well. The stitches would rot out before the leather started to crack.

But one of the big problems with leather boots is hot heat. People like to place them near a furnace vent or oven to dry them out when they get wet. A few times of doing this and the leather is done for. When I was working I used a Cabela's boot drier. They are worth their weight. I would place my work boots on it when I got home at night and then take them off the next morning and put on a nice warm pair of boots.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Saddle soap
Boot cream/cream polish
Meltonian Water & Stain Protector before big trips

Mink oil and snow seal are great too if your expecting a lot of water. But the boots don't breath as well but that stuff work.

Stay away from oils as they make the leather to soft and can rot the threads in the boots.

Never use heat or direct sunlight to dry them.

If you clean them and use creams for the uppers, they will outlast the soles.

TK

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm pretty careful about not letting my boots get wet, but I have to admit that a few times I've use a camp fire (hot coals) to dry out boots. Lately I bring extra insoles so I can swap them out for a completely dry set (i.e. no sweat moisture) every day. That and having boots that don't leak seems to work. I'm usually a few miles in so I only have one set of boots to work with.

Jim, that mixture scares me, but if it works than it works! Thanks.

I've used Sno-seal a few times. Had no idea that oil can rot the threads.