Maine bear hunting referendum

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I was curious as to how the bear hunting referendum went in Maine last November. Basically, this was another push by HSUS to chip away at all hunting. They had tried to do the same thing ten years ago, and it failed, and had to wait ten years to try again. With the continuing change in demographics (the NE has their own version of Californication), most pundits expected it to pass this time. Somehow, common sense and science prevailed, and it failed. The ref. didn't ban hunting bears outright, but would ban baiting and the use of dogs. In the big woods, that would pretty much have the same effect as an outright ban.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
Good to hear. I lived in northern Wisconsin for 20 years, and I can count the number of bear I've seen when out in the woods hunting other stuff on one hand. Can't imagine trying to hunt them without bait (or dogs).

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I am so glad that the referendum failed. Great to see that HSUS couldn't buy this one. I was able to harvest a bear with Crooked Tree Lodge and had a great week. There are too many bears in most parts of Maine and they are becoming more of a danger in losing their respect of people. If this would have passed, I believe that it would have severely damaged Maine's economy.