M.R.S. shows Walk-In in Antelope Unit 71, not?

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
The current MRS shows 35000 acres of Walk In Acres in Unit 71 Antelope. But when I check out the Fish & Game site, walk-in area maps, it looks like it has exactly zero. Anyone familiar with the unit, and also, which is more up to date, the MRS he Fish & Game website info? Thanks much.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I think the Game and Fish Walk-In info on the web-site is from 2013, but Natrona County walk-in area #7 is 35,000 acres in area 71 and 72. Hopefully that big acreage is still there this year.

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
I think the Game and Fish Walk-In info on the web-site is from 2013, but Natrona County walk-in area #7 is 35,000 acres in area 71 and 72. Hopefully that big acreage is still there this year.
Yes, I did some further clicking and see the #7 you are talking about. For some reason, the first link they show Natrona County and they do not show everything on map 1. But I see if I click the blue link to "view and print detailed maps" instead, I get a different map...it shows the areas as you say. Good deal. Man, you guys come up with the answers quick!!

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
For some reason their two Natrona County walk-in maps do not agree, but the more detailed one must be correct. Just looking for a 2nd choice area, and MRS shows 71 as a possible 2nd choice if special. We have special, and 2PP, and should get drawn in our 1st choice anyway. But with tag quotas reduced in so many of these units, it is hard to know for sure what it takes to draw, 1st or 2nd choice. Hard to figure the odds and points when they reduce tags on lots of units and people's ideas change also. Thanks again for the walk-in update.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I have no idea about the points and draw game, sorry. That kindof goes in the fuzzy math category for me and that is where I get confused. I would agree that it could be a good area. I don't do even a small fraction of the research or field time as those guys, but there are deer and antelope all over the place every time I been in that general area. There is a lot of activity with the uranium and oil and gas, but on a walk-in you should be good I think. The numbers are down from the hard winter a couple of years ago and the drought (libidilatimmy above knows a lot about that subject).

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
There was a message that came out from Wyoming Fish and Game last year about a landowner who was pulling their land from the WIA program due to abuses by users. I want to say the land was in Natrona County so you might want to check and make sure before getting a tag...

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
Yeah, the 2014 tag numbers sure show the herd must be way down in some areas, varies however unit to unit, sometimes even adjacent units show a lot of variation in the 2013-2014 quota changes.

I will check with F&G on these walk-in areas.....our antelope 1st choice is 69, and it also shows lots of walk-in, 2nd choice of 71 we have been discussing........Looks like even the F&G has conflicting info. on their maps We will wait now and see if/what we draw, and check it out. Thanks for the heads up on Natrona County.

I've been a farmer my whole life, and respect private property lines of others for sure. It is really sad when people do not follow the rules; they really can mess up this hunting situation for everyone. We were very careful when we hunted BLM land....the truck stays on the road and we hike. Got three nice bucks. Walk-in areas we never hunted, but hope to. Keeps this senior citizen in shape also!