Looking for lightweight alternative to 550 paracord....

smartweed

Feb 11, 2015
Thinking of spectra, kevlar for some applications like tying up and hanging game bags. Anyone have any other ideas for these lightweight cords, or any better options than 550? I don't like 550, it does not hold knots well and is not easy to work with IMO. I prefer tarred nylon, but it is not really lighter I don't think, I have to weigh them out soon. Thanks and good luck.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
How about this stuff called "mule tape" it is used in a lot of construction/cable pulling type uses.its about 1/2" wide but thin nylon cord.breaking strength of 2400" yet super light.I use for a lot of different stuff.

coatimundi01

Mar 31, 2015
Could take a while, but you could take the 7strand core out of paracord and it'll hold knots a lot better and probably cut the bundled up size in half. Just a thought.

dble07

Dec 6, 2014
How about this stuff called "mule tape" it is used in a lot of construction/cable pulling type uses.its about 1/2" wide but thin nylon cord.breaking strength of 2400" yet super light.I use for a lot of different stuff.
+1. I'm an electrician so have used mule tape a lot. Stuff is light, tough, and packs fairly small.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
The spectra type cord is very strong and lightweight. The stuff that came with my Hennessy camping hammock is maybe 1/3 the size of p-cord and is rated at 600#. That said, I don't really like it for other applications. It will cut into your hand like fishline if you try to pull too much weight with it (like game bags or a food pack). Go on an 8 hour diet, and you'll lose the extra weight of 100' of p-cord. The mule tape sounds like something to look into though.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Lol ok ok it is pretty darn handy and I don't feel bad about cutting it for tent rope or doubling it up to hang quarters or wgatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
mule tape would be your best bet i am also in cable construction and it holds very well you can get it anywere from 500lbs to 2500lbs capacity its super tuff and very easy to tie knots in

sab

Apr 13, 2011
My neighbor is an electrical contractor for the local power companies, and he gave me some mule tape to pull wire through a conduit from my house to my detached garage. Having handled mule tape, 550 cord, and Lawson Kline's stuff, if you're looking for ultralight cording to hang game bags, you owe it to yourself to look at Lawson's cordage products. If weight is not a problem for you, then the mule tape would be a good option.

Regards,
SAB

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
for strength to weight ratio,Ii havnt found anything better than the mule tape?

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Dont ever sell baling twine short! I never leave home without it:D
That's because there is 4 miles of it piled up in the back of your pickup. Especially after a nice long winter. You have no choice but to take it with you when you leave the house.;)

I found a pile of the heavy blue on the side of the road one time. I am set for about a decade now. Not for backpacking, but great stuff to have when we are wall tenting it.

Blockcaver

Apr 13, 2011
British Columbia
My local climbing shop has a bunch of different rope/cord. I bought some very thin braided cord for use on my Siltarp. It has held up very well for 4 seasons of use in some stiff winds above treeline. Weighs nothing and takes up no space (stuffs into the Siltarp bag) compared to parachute cord, and I am able to get the knots back out of it.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
That's because there is 4 miles of it piled up in the back of your pickup. Especially after a nice long winter. You have no choice but to take it with you when you leave the house.;)

I found a pile of the heavy blue on the side of the road one time. I am set for about a decade now. Not for backpacking, but great stuff to have when we are wall tenting it.
LMAO - I know those guys.

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
Bailing twine works great always have some in camp and don't ever feel bad about cutting it. 550 is all I have ever used and always worked great. Not familiar with mule tape but sounds like it might be a good option.