Live Chat: Wyoming Deer and Antelope!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
As a non res with 3 mule deer points, Region G is at the top of my list. A lot of the research I have seen shows the potential for a great buck in this region. However, most of the pictures and kills seem to be from the rifle hunt. What can I expect in Region G as a bowhunter during September? Willing to pack in 5-10 miles, hoping for a chance to chase 160-180 bucks.
That's a good question. The bowhunt in Region G can be pretty tough, as the deer are very, very high in September and tend to hang out in the wide open basins. The other drawback is that you only have about 10 days or less to hunt the bucks in there with a bow. The rifle season in there opens on the 15th of Sept, and about the 9th or 10th the rifle hunters start clambering around those basins scouting for bucks. No doubt, the biggest deer in WY usually come out of that Region. The hunter success in Region G did increase last year by more than 12% putting it at a 5-year high, so the hunting seems to be getting a bit better each year in that Region. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
As Dan Asked earlier what are your thoughts on Region F deer particularly area 105/106?

Thanks
My wife and I hunt elk in Region F quite a bit, and I think the deer hunting is getting better and better there. I really think that as the elk population has dropped in there due to the wolves, the deer herd has certainly benefited from it. My neighbor's grandson killed a 33-inch buck that he brought over to my house one cold November night to show me last fall. A really, sweet, heavy, Wilderness buck. -G

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I should add to my question that this will be out first trip out west. Camping from Oct the 18th - 26th or so if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I have 6 points for deer, elk, and antelope. What ares for each species would you choose to hunt in with little or no scouting time? Ease of getting to know an area with about 10 days to hunt and scout in each area.

I would want to find good quality animals in the upper trophy class. Is this possible without hiring and outfitter?

Thanks!
Trent,

I would go for Area 96 for antelope if I were in your shoes. I saw some very nice bucks in there last October and it is close for you coming from NV. Along with that, you might consider area 130 for mule deer. It has been a bit tough out there over the past few years, but I think with this moisture the deer should do very well out there and it would make a sweet combo hunt with overlapping seasons. The hunter success is pretty high in 130 and I think a 170+ is certainly possible, with the antelope quality probably in the 78-82 inch range. No guides would be necessary in either of those area, and I'm always here to help you out if you draw. Good luck man. -G

AMGWY

Mar 10, 2014
I agree with Guy that region F is good but it has heavy hunting pressure and is a lot of wilderness. High deer population but big bucks are far and few between that being said. There are big deer if you have a lot of time to hunt.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Would you consider area 34 or 37 for deer worth burning 4 points on, considering we would probably have to apply in the special draw in 34. Same question for unit 73 antelope. 4 points in the regular draw. I see they issue a lot more tags for 73 then say 74 or 75. Considering we wouldn't get to hunt the antelope until late October, what would be our best options in that general area. Thanks!!

Both can be pretty good deer hunts. I like the 34 hunt better just because I know it a bit better and the access is a little bit better. I know guys that have killed 180+s out of both areas, so they are very similar in trophy quality.

As for antelope, area 73 is a pretty good hunt. I killed a nice 80+ with my bow out there a few years back. The antelope herd out there is massive, on a good year, but the access can be a bit tougher than say 74 or 75. Trophy quality is about the same a good 77-83 buck can be considered good and expected on a good 5 day hunt in that unit. When I was out there a kid from the oil field had killed an 86-incher in that unit the year previous, so it can produce monster bucks when it's good.

G-

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I should add to my question that this will be out first trip out west. Camping from Oct the 18th - 26th or so if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Bring your warm weather gear Cobb. That is usually the week we get our first winter-like snow storm. Good luck to you. -G

jims

Oct 5, 2012
KC Missouri
What are your thoughts on deer numbers and quality in Unit W, particularly the western part of that unit? I antelope hunted 57 a couple of years ago, so since I'm familiar with that area, was wondering if a person could have a very good deer hunt out there. Thanks.

bowhuntinnut

May 24, 2011
Do you think a region G tag or one of the Draw units for deer is better to hold out for? It sure seems like to me that there would be a lot less pressure in a draw unit?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
With 7 Antelope points, which unit in southern Wyoming would you shoot for to draw the best tag?
Good question, Areas 57, 58 and 60 are the best areas in that region of the state historically. I personally like area 61. I had that tag a few times when I was younger and had a great hunt out there. Man, do I wish I could have those hunts back. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a different outcome on those hunts. Good luck.

-G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Do you think a region G tag or one of the Draw units for deer is better to hold out for? It sure seems like to me that there would be a lot less pressure in a draw unit?
If you can hunt hard, and hunt that type of country (rough) I really think that Region G is very, very tough to beat for the draw odds. But is you want an easier, low country hunt with lots of deer, region G is not that type of hunt. G-

spotnstalk1

Mar 7, 2011
www.facebook.com
Is there a better limited quota option for the backcountry bowhunter with 3 non res points? Or would I be looking at building points another 3-5 years for a better option?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What are your thoughts on deer numbers and quality in Unit W, particularly the western part of that unit? I antelope hunted 57 a couple of years ago, so since I'm familiar with that area, was wondering if a person could have a very good deer hunt out there. Thanks.
Region W can be a tough deer hunt, but for the points, it can be a pretty good start, or novice type hunt. I like the Western side of the region the best. Get up high, and glass until dark out there. Those bucks are like bats, they almost never see the sun. Good luck on the hunt. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Is there a better limited quota option for the backcountry bowhunter with 3 non res points? Or would I be looking at building points another 3-5 years for a better option?
The problem is, with Wyoming cutting tags so darn hard, the point creep is getting out of control in the deer pool. I think that Regions G and H are pretty good bowhunting options, but the hunting is tough there and the season is short. If it was me, I would apply for a limited quota hunt like 101 or 102 and then apply for Region F or R second choice. Both can be a very fun backcountry type bowhunt for deer. Hope this helps. -G