Live Chat: Wyoming Deer and Antelope!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
We are just about ready to go! Post up your questions about Wyoming deer and antelope, and Guy will be here to answer!

I am really looking forward to this one guys, this thread should contain a LOT of great information!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
for general season resident tag, would you rather hunt the big horns or area 105/106 for mule deer?
Depends on what kind of deer you are looking for. The Bighorns has way more deer, but they tend to top out about 170. Area 105 is a pretty tough general season hunt, until November when those bucks pull out of the high country. Without that rut, late season it can be tough in there to find the bucks because the buck density is so low. -G

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The deer and antelope units east of Riverton have had some big tag reductions recently. What do you see happening in that area in the next few years?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Other then region G what deer units should a NR with 3-5 points be looking at the next few years?
That's a very good question. Wyoming's deer situation is very tough right now. As for the future, I really like the 105 late season and I think the new LQ structure in the Platte Valley could reap some great mule deer benefits in the next three to five years. Areas 78, 79, 80, 83 and 81 where all changed to Limited Quota last season, taking almost half of the hunting pressure off of some of Wyoming best deer genetics. I think if, the state keeps the quotas tight down there, things could be very good in a few years. I also like the deer quality and rebound in Region K. The fall was very wet and the winter has been pretty mild down there so far. Areas 101, & 102 should have good antler growth this year as well. Just a few of the bright spots. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
The deer and antelope units east of Riverton have had some big tag reductions recently. What do you see happening in that area in the next few years?
You are correct. Area 90 has really struggled over the past few years. I did mark it as a Blue Chip this year, but it was certainly one of the weakest of the Blue grades for sure. The drought really hit those deer hard in 2012, I think some of the more mature bucks packed up shop and moved East into 89, but that's just my personal opinion. Most of the biggest deer I have seen in that area where on the East border of the unit. I'm hoping with a good year/winter and a stiff tag reduction, this area starts to rebound quickly. -G

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
That's a very good question. Wyoming's deer situation is very tough right now. As for the future, I really like the 105 late season and I think the new LQ structure in the Platte Valley could reap some great mule deer benefits in the next three to five years. Areas 78, 79, 80, 83 and 81 where all changed to Limited Quota last season, taking almost half of the hunting pressure off of some of Wyoming best deer genetics. I think if, the state keeps the quotas tight down there, things could be very good in a few years. I also like the deer quality and rebound in Region K. The fall was very wet and the winter has been pretty mild down there so far. Areas 101, & 102 should have good antler growth this year as well. Just a few of the bright spots. -G
Thanks Guy! I have 3 points and Im not looking to use them for another year or 2. Just trying to figure out where to head with them. I like to have some kind of general plan but I been kinda at a loss on this one.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
With the abundance of snowfall most of the state has seen, especially in the arid portions, would it be safe to say that buck quality should improve greatly this year in these areas often overlooked?

spotnstalk1

Mar 7, 2011
www.facebook.com
As a non res with 3 mule deer points, Region G is at the top of my list. A lot of the research I have seen shows the potential for a great buck in this region. However, most of the pictures and kills seem to be from the rifle hunt. What can I expect in Region G as a bowhunter during September? Willing to pack in 5-10 miles, hoping for a chance to chase 160-180 bucks.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have 6 points for deer, elk, and antelope. What ares for each species would you choose to hunt in with little or no scouting time? Ease of getting to know an area with about 10 days to hunt and scout in each area.

I would want to find good quality animals in the upper trophy class. Is this possible without hiring and outfitter?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
For a rookie to the Big Horn Basin, which antelope units would you recommend?
Areas 80 and 114 area the best there is in the Basin for antelope. One of my favorite antelope hunts around Cody though is areas 81 and 82. They are a bit easier to draw and have plenty of antelope. I've seen lots of antelope at 11,000 feet on top of Franc's Peak. I always thought that would make a sweet show to climb up there and kill an antelope up with those sheep. My hats off to anyone who gets that accomplished. -G

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Thanks for the info on 89-90! How are the antelope doing in that area? I hunted 74 in 2012. I like the unit but its gotten alot harder to draw since. Im hoping the quota comes up some in the next couple years while I rebuild my points and it gets easier to draw because Im not sure its worth 4 points rightnow

Danbuilder

Jul 18, 2013
What are you takes on unit 83 for antelope and 125 for deer if I don't draw those what about
Region F for deer

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
With the abundance of snowfall most of the state has seen, especially in the arid portions, would it be safe to say that buck quality should improve greatly this year in these areas often overlooked?
I think so. The moisture in Wyoming has been outstanding this winter. I just looked at the Snow Tel report this AM and most of the state is at 120-150% of normal snowpack. The most is right here around Cody and the least is around the SW corner of the state near Evanston. The entire state had record rain and snow going into the winter during the fall and barring any crazy spring storms I think this should be a very good year. I think the horn growth should be the best we've seen a while as long as the numbers remain good. The winter has been a tough rough in some places, but I'm not getting any winter kill reports so far. The elk should do tremendous. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What are you takes on unit 83 for antelope and 125 for deer if I don't draw those what about
Region F for deer
Area 83 for antelope has been rebounding slowly over the past 15 years. I have seen some very good bucks out there over the past two years, and I think it can offer up a good 78-80 inch buck for someone who hunts hard. Antelope are weird, just because the numbers are down, doesn't always mean the quality will be. The antelope should have gone into the winter very strong this year, but they are tricky little devils, as they grow their horns during the winter, so that is a very critical time in their horn growth cycle.

As for deer 125, the season is a very good out there, but the deer quality is a bit tough. I have hunted it before, and I think a 170 buck there is a very good buck, most of the deer killed there are in the 140-160 class. It's a pretty easy hunt and a very good mule deer hunt for a beginner with lots of country and public land. I do know of two bucks over 35-inches that have come out of the area on a good year, so the genetics are there, if you can find a buck that can make it through the hunting pressure to get some age on him.

Good luck. -G

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Would you consider area 34 or 37 for deer worth burning 4 points on, considering we would probably have to apply in the special draw in 34. Same question for unit 73 antelope. 4 points in the regular draw. I see they issue a lot more tags for 73 then say 74 or 75. Considering we wouldn't get to hunt the antelope until late October, what would be our best options in that general area. Thanks!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks for the info on 89-90! How are the antelope doing in that area? I hunted 74 in 2012. I like the unit but its gotten alot harder to draw since. Im hoping the quota comes up some in the next couple years while I rebuild my points and it gets easier to draw because Im not sure its worth 4 points rightnow
Yeh, they have cut the antelope quotas out there drastically after the bad 2010 winter, which has had quite the negative impact on the draw odds. The antelope have been a little slow to come back, but we hunted out that way a little bit last fall, and it was better than is has been over the past few years. Certainly not quite what is was in 2009, but headed in the right direction. With all of our moisture this year, I'm banking on a pretty good year for horn growth out there this year. My indications from the G&F is that they might look at possible tag quota increases in some antelope areas finally this year. Good luck out there. -G