Live Chat Spring Bear!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Anyone been out bear hunting yet this spring?

G-

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yeah, Guy signed in. We may move this over to FB as Bear audience is pretty small.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I just remembered Im in a different time zone and it would have started over an hour ago.... Never hunted bears but I want to someday! Guy if your still around what is the best general advise you can give a guy that wants to start bear hunting?

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm gearing up right now to go look for a brown bear. I'll head out on or about the 15th, weather depending. It's a long flight but an area that you generally have to sort through the bears.

The Kodiak trip I have planned may fall through for next spring...the native land holders have decided to restrict access or make it too expensive for me to justify going there since we have so many really good areas to go that are state owned land and free.

Weather is the biggest issue on this hunt.

JasonGNV

Very Active Member
Jul 17, 2013
Smith
I wish we had a spring bear season in NV. I've been looking at UT,ID and AZ for out of state options. Loved hunting the Cali bear seasons since I live on the border but won't buy a tag since they banned the use of hounds.

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I'm gearing up right now to go look for a brown bear. I'll head out on or about the 15th, weather depending. It's a long flight but an area that you generally have to sort through the bears.

The Kodiak trip I have planned may fall through for next spring...the native land holders have decided to restrict access or make it too expensive for me to justify going there since we have so many really good areas to go that are state owned land and free.

Weather is the biggest issue on this hunt.

what tag did you draw ??

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
It's just beyond the Karluk river to the west. It drains into Shelikof Strait between Karluk and Sturgeon Head.

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I think me & a buddy paid the natives $100 trespass fee in 2008 for Karluk lake. I know they have built a lodge and guest cabins on the lake's island since then for bear viewing. If I was you I would call Roland @ seahawk air. He is a great guy & very knowledgable of what goes on on Kodiak

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks, I know Roland and he is definitely knowledgable and a great pilot, I would use him for access if we go. The native corporation has been making some changes recently and they don't seem too friendly towards my budget. The numbers I have heard are in the $1500 range per bear.
I'm friends with Larry Van Daele at ADF&G, he's been keeping me advised. If we go, we'll only target one bear for my son, though we both have tags.
Thanks for the advice!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I scratched on the bear hunt this spring. The time I had allotted for it was spent waiting on weather to be flyable. It's about a 8-9 hour flight and half of it stayed IFR when I needed to go. Oh well, it's hard to fly or solo hunt brown bears in dense fog!
My 300 grain Swift A-Frames will have to wait for awhile.

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I scratched on the bear hunt this spring. The time I had allotted for it was spent waiting on weather to be flyable. It's about a 8-9 hour flight and half of it stayed IFR when I needed to go. Oh well, it's hard to fly or solo hunt brown bears in dense fog!
My 300 grain Swift A-Frames will have to wait for awhile.
did ya set a bait ??