Lightweight Tripod

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
I know that a lot of folks use the Manfrotto's (giant, heavy monstrosities IMO) and you can get a Gitzo that works pretty darned nice but I really like the SMALL Outdoorsmans tripod with a pistol grip... For backpacking purposes, I have cut down the center post to remove un-needed weight. I have packed that thing for miles and miles in the back country and it is hands down THE POOP!

I used it on my last back country hunt... You can see the story here: http://graylightproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=714

There's also a picture of it here if you scroll down... http://graylightproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=913

It works great and I would put it up against any other brand on the market! Again... Just my humble opinion :)

I am really pumped that the Eastmans have started this forum... It's the only other forum I really care to share on... Serious topics with serious hunters... It's great and I hope this info helps you...

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
Marlon, good to have you here. So what is the total weight of your tripod and head?

brudno

Feb 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Heres what I plan on carrying this year.

SLIK PRO 624CF 1.81 lbs supports 7 lbs, adjusts up to 47" and packs down to 16.3" and is sub $250. I'm still undecided but the outdoorsman pan head or pistol grip/w panning attachment will be in the bag too.

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
Heres what I plan on carrying this year.

SLIK PRO 624CF 1.81 lbs supports 7 lbs, adjusts up to 47" and packs down to 16.3" and is sub $250. I'm still undecided but the outdoorsman pan head or pistol grip/w panning attachment will be in the bag too.

I looked at 100's of tripods before deciding to carry these ones this winter. The 624 and 634 are both awesome tripods, really light and stable. If you want to drop some weight the lower section of the center post can be removed as well.

I am using the Slik 634 right now for video and it's awesome. Here's a video I did on them and the Promaster T525p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKi4GeQ5Rc

bbright

Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Graylight,

The Outdoorsman's tripod and pan head has been put on the want list. Not sure if the small will be tall enough for me. Do you find yourself wishing you had a little more height or never really an issue? I sold my Monf. and tripod I got at Cabela's (don't recall the brand). I found myself leaving the spotting scope set-up behind due to weight and that cost me some extra walking miles.

BB

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
BB... Optimally, I would like to have a taller tripod but realistically, were talking about the back country and I never care too much for comfort as functionality comes first! I lay prone or sit crouched and utilize my 20X60mmX65mm Swaro straight just fine... Fact is that these tripods are bomb proof... I really mean it too... They're so tough, that I believe I may still be using it long enough to pass it on to my son one day! Weight is the single greatest factor, then size... I know that there are great options available, I simply decided to roll the dice on the Outdoorsmans and feel that my bet paid off... A great product and system especially with the pistol grip, well worth the coin.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
BB... I also have an extra pad head if you would rather go that route, if you want to buy one off me, I'll give you a good deal... It is "new" Just let me know...

I have 5 pan heads and two pistol grips.... Soooo, I can stand to get rid of one of the pan heads :)

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
I really like the twist lock over lever. I think it depends though, on a cheaper tripod the lever is probably more reliable. On the Slik's the twist lock is really smooth and it makes adjusting the legs a lot quicker.

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
Tripod with the pistol grip and trimmed center post is about 1.7 lbs pack weight...
Greylight, Just curious as to how you are getting this setup that light? What pistol grip are you using? On the outdoorsman.com website it is saying that the tripod weighs 1.8lbs and the bogen 222 pistol grip head is 1.72lbs making their set up weigh in at 3.52lbs. I know that you trimmed the center post and that will cut down the total a little. Thanks for any info you provide.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
I'm using the Outdoorsmans pistol grip (way better than the Bogen IMO)... The Outdoorsmans is 9.8 ounces, Mine is a prototype they were messing with and the insides are lighter and trigger is cut, so mine is a touch lighter...

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
SD, I am glad that you can take something away from what I might assist with... I know it is only my opinion and ultimately I only want the best of experiences for all of my fellow hunters... To me it's all about sharing the knowledge we acquire in the field, some things tougher lessons learned than others. I always pick up good tips from forums like these...

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
Greylight,

Thank you much for your explanation. It all makes a little more since now. After looking at the other pistol grip I like the looks of it a lot. Have you had any issues with it?

SDBirdman

Apr 7, 2011
The twist style legs are awesome. Grab all of them and with one quick twist all leg segments are free to slide!! I just got a Slik 624 CF and love it. Too short to stand up and glass, but that rarely happens in the field. The compact size and weight saved were worth it.

SDBirdman

Apr 7, 2011
I also put a Slik panhead on it. It is very smooth and looks an aweful lot like the Jim White only over $200 cheaper!!

Grizbacker

Sep 2, 2011
Montana
I am also looking for advice on a lightweight backpacking tripod. I can really only spend around 100$ maybe a bit more. It has to be able to hold up to a 60mm spotting scope steady, and be at least tall enough to sit up behind.

I have heard some decent things abot the vortex high country. However, I am not sure about the ball head on it. I am used to the typical pan head. How do you guys that have one like the ball head?

Any other decent lightweight tripods in the 100$ range I should look at?

Thanks!