Lightweight Toyhauler

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
They may claim it's towable with a 1/2 ton truck, but I have my doubts!!
It weighs 6712 DRY, Add another 900+ for the water & holding tanks. That's over 7600# before you add anything else. A couple of atvs or a sidexside will add another 1000# will bring it to 8600 before you add food, dishes, and everything else you take with you. This thing could easily get to 10,000#. I sure would want to know what size axels, rims & wheels it comes with. There isn't a 1/2 ton truck out there that I would want to tow it behind! I'll keep my F350, 4x4, diesel!

Buyer beware!!!

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
Colorado Cowboy, look at the pics. You'll clearly see my 2010 F-150 parked next to it in the La Sal Mountains. The new F-150s can pull more bumper-pull weight than the F-250s from the mid-2000's and have tow ratings over 12,000 lbs (and that's giving enough leeway for the engineers to be happy). Plus the new computer gyroscopic anti-sway devices are much safer. I doubt you'd have the same comment if somebody had said, "Can I pull that with my 2006 F-250 with the gas motor?" You're a little behind the times, buddy.

A Super Duty would pull it easier no doubt, but to say an F-150 can't pull it is provably false. I've hunted with it in five states, from 2,000' to 10,000' and it rides/pulls great.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I didn't say the F150 couldn't pull it....I said I wouldn't pull it with a F150. I am not behind the times pal, I just have my own opinions on tow vehicles. I have been towing trailers for 50 years, everything from 1/2 ton gas rigs to 1 ton diesels, they all have their place. For many years I towed a 30', 10' wide boat all over the US, Canada and Mexico that weighed 15,000#. I would much rather have a truck that is capable of towing a larger load than I plan on. I just got rid of a 1999 F350, Powerstroke, 4x4 with auto trans than had almost 300,000 miles on it. Neither tranny or engine had ever been apart. I towed everything from a 28' travel trailer to the 30' boat with it.

I stick by my post!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Trucks will do more than a guy thinks, it might cost you a little to fix them more often, but they are capable of much mire than you think.
My dad has a 2000 half ton gas Ford truck he uses for the water truck for the sprayer on his farm, it pulls a trailer with 3,000 gallons of water, 21,000 pounds of water. He literally has to have a push to get going if he's stating out going up an incline, but starting out on a flat run he can get it going. The truck has just under a half million miles original motor and tranny, he his on his 3rd rear end though, imagine that.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I will add an asterisk to my comment, its one thing to take a piece of equipment to it's limit, if you understand how to do it. I know guys I guess that I would trust pulling a lawn mower with a 1 ton dually.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
You can get by with a 1/2 ton pulling it, but sure use caution. I pull a lot of heavy equipment with my 3/4 ton, over 15,000 lbs at times. It does it, but if you ever get in an emergency situation it goes south real quick. I usually ask myself if I would put someone else behind the wheel and feel safe? So many crazy drivers on the roads. I much prefer goose neck over the bumper pull for the safety. I would agree with CC, but it is doable, just not what I would want to do on long trips. Maybe when I was younger and felt invincible.:)

Hey Grizz, nice toy hauler. Hope you get it sold. If it was fifth wheel I would be interested.

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
I tend to agree with CC. In my mind a F150 seems a little lightweight for something that heavy. That being said... I just sold a 24 foot travel trailer with one slide that weighed around 7,000-7,500 lbs. When the guy called me about it I asked him what he would be hauling it with. He told me a F150 and I said he may want to check his tow rating and that I thought a F150 was too lightweight for something that heavy. He phoned me back after checking and told me the trailer was well under the tow rating. I think he said something like 12,000 lbs. GVW. I was skeptical to say the least. Anyway, he and his wife show up to look at the trailer and they like it, so he hooked up his new truck, with a turbo V6 no less, and off he goes. He called me after driving it home, about 75 miles, and told me how great it towed and was real happy about the setup. Surprised me! These new trucks must have come a long way.

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
CC, I'm not surprised you've been towing for 50 years. Like I said in my post above, you're a little behind the times. Since we're comparing resumes... I've worked at a Ford dealership since the 1980's, currently own 5 trailers (everything from boats, to a flatbed, to the above travel trailer as well as a fifth wheel camper). I have personally owned numerous Ford trucks from a Ranger to F-150's to my current 6.7L Powerstroke.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about... Your 1999 F-350 Powerstroke, even if it was a dually, is only rated at 10,000 max trailer towing for bumper pull (which is what we are talking about here). A new F-150 4x4 CC is rated at 11,600 and can be configured to 12,200. The weight of a Super Duty is nice in windy situations, but from somebody that has personally owned a 2006 F-150 and a 2010 F-150, I can tell you that the gyroscopic anti-sway devices included in the newer trucks would blow your mind as far as the ability to control the truck in poor conditions or while passing semi's.

PS. I have never broken down, never done damage to a vehicle, in fact I could've welded all my hoods shut except for regular oil changes. To tow any trailer, a guy needs to know what he is doing... but if a guy can't tow a 10,000 trailer with a new F-150, that's on him. Not the truck.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'm not going to get into a pizzzing contest with you, this is not the place for that. But when I can put 300,000 miles on a truck without touching the engine or tranny, I must be doing something right. I don't consider myself behind the times at all. Tow that much weight in the F150 for 300,000 miles and not do anything besides normal servicing, then we will talk. I get 90,000 mile on a set of brakes and about the same on tires. I don't have the 99 anymore, traded it off for a 2013 F350, CC, short bed. 6.7, 5 speed, 4x4.

When I first read the post on the recent posts, I didn't realize you were selling the trailer. Hope you sell it.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I realize these new 1/2 ton trucks are rated to haul an enormous amount. Even bed capacity is close to 1 ton, so the 1/2 ton nomenclature really doesn't fit anymore.

My sister pulls a trailer for a living. Lots of stop and go but doesn't have a lead foot. Trailer weighs in at 5500 pounds. She has had 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton trucks. 3/4 ton she can get about 140,00 our of a transmission. 1/2 ton she averages about 60,000. Her current sierra 1500 only got 40,000 out of it. The 3/4 tons seem to hold up much better when constantly towing, and not a surprise since that is what they are geared toward. Also, its not all about what a truck can pull but how a truck can stop quickly in a controlled manner. I think pulling the trailer a handful of times a year with a 1/2 ton is fine but wouldn't want to pull it that way every weekend.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Funny how a guy trying to sell something has had his thread turned into a towing debate. Maybe the mods need to split it in two so Grizz can market his toy hauler and others can debate the best towing solution?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Funny how a guy trying to sell something has had his thread turned into a towing debate. Maybe the mods need to split it in two so Grizz can market his toy hauler and others can debate the best towing solution?
Party pooper. :D

I kinda laughed after seeing CC's first response. Figured enough folks were joining the tread i'd join the bunny trail. Maybe trent or scot can delete and let grizzly repost?

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'm the guilty one!!!:( When I first look at Eastman's, I go to New Posts. Saw this and didn't even look at where it was posted. I assumed he was buying one and going to pull it with a 1/2 ton.

My fault.

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
No worries. All is good. A little truck debate is always a good time. ;)

There is definitely a market for guys that don't want to drive a SuperDuty everyday, but want to be able to pull a toyhauler for camping or hunting (and whose wives don't want mud and gasoline parked in their kitchen/living space). This is a great trailer for those guys.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
As long as the trailer has a good set of brakes, and hooked up to a load lever style set up, with and set of air shocks I think hauling it with a half ton would work fine, without debating the length of engine,tranny, or rear-ends for the dozen or so road trips, how much over gunned does a man need to be?��

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I know what the problem is!!! Your talking about pulling it with a FORD :D

Sorry figured I would add to the frey!!!

And as I said before nice camper