lightweight synthetic rifle stocks

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
I have a Remington 700 classic in 300 weatherby. I would like to replace the wood stock with a lightweight synthetic stock. I could sure use some help as to what manufacture to go with. Do I need a full aluminum bedding block or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, john.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Plenty of good ones out there now. McMillian, Manners, HS Precision, Bell & Carlson are well known. There are more makers too and some that make very good ultra light weight offerings. Is a full Alum bedding block needed, no, can it help, yep. A properly bedded stock, stiff enough to not change pressure or lack there of on the action or barrel, is what you want. Alum blocks for the receiver and full length Alum to stiffen the fore end work very well. So does a properly made synthetic stock, often with Alum pillar's. I have the full Alum, glass/pillar bedded synthetic stocks, reg synthetic and wood. When done right, all work very well.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Plenty of good ones out there now. McMillian, Manners, HS Precision, Bell & Carlson are well known. There are more makers too and some that make very good ultra light weight offerings. Is a full Alum bedding block needed, no, can it help, yep. A properly bedded stock, stiff enough to not change pressure or lack there of on the action or barrel, is what you want. Alum blocks for the receiver and full length Alum to stiffen the fore end work very well. So does a properly made synthetic stock, often with Alum pillar's. I have the full Alum, glass/pillar bedded synthetic stocks, reg synthetic and wood. When done right, all work very well.
Well Said!

Should have said in original post....I have a B & C stock on my custom, commercial mauser actioned .300 WBY that is really great!

Last edited:

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I had a Rem. 700 in 30/06 and it kicked like a mule but was very accurate. Put a Bell And Carlson stock on it and it really tamed it down. My son has claimed it and it is his main shooter.