Lightweight reasonably priced cameras.

humbletaxi

Jan 17, 2012
Cottonwood CA
Okay so I am one of hose guys who takes pictures exclusively with my phone. I would like a decent camera that is small enough to fit in the pack without worrying about wasting precious ounces. It doesn't have to be top of the line just small, durable, and take halfway decent pictures for less than, say 400$. I am completely ignorant with camera features, I have a small samsung I have had for a while but it doesn't really cut it. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Mud Farm

Aug 18, 2014
Wisconsin
I like the canon powershot cameras for a small point and shoot. I've had two and love them both. I think you can get a really nice one for under $300. My iPhone takes pretty nice pictures though so I don't carry a dedicated camera much anymore.

FlaFlatlander

Jun 12, 2014
Florida
I recently bought a Sony DC-HX50V and carried it on a recent elk hunt. I purchased it mainly because of the lens quality and the 30 power zoom. I had looked at ruggedized cameras etc but picked this one because of quality per the expert at the store and so far have really liked it. Got it as an open box at BestBuy and saved a bunch of money. Might be worth a look.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
You may want to take a look at Panasonic Lumix TS3. I've used and abused mine for the past 3 years. I do a lot of fishing and it is totally waterproof. In fact, I often take underwater pics with it. I wouldn't buy another non-waterproof camera! It also takes incredible 1080 video. I have a Gopro and the video and audio on the TS3 is way better. The batteries last for ever and I can get a lot of pics and videos on a single SD card. You can find great internet deals on the TS3. They have a newer model but the new one may not be any better than the TS3. It is pretty close to the size and weight of a phone. The photos and video quality is pretty amazing. Check it out...you won't be disappointed!

DBull

Mar 21, 2014
Rock Springs, Wyoming
I would look into a canon SL1 its an easy to use dslr that has tons of function's and if you take the box lens off (which is usually a 18-55 mm perfect lens for trophy shots) it can easily fit into a pack and doesn't weigh very much at all.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Canon Elph is what I've been using for 5-6 years. They have some astounding models out now that aren't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes and the image quality on them are remarkably good compared to the DSLR's I run. There are a few small DSLR's like DBull stated but having to put lenses on and off can be a real pain and you run the risk of water and dust getting on the internal lenses!

hoshour

Veteran member
Hard to go wrong with the small Canon cameras.

They have good color and sharpness and are sturdy. They also have a large, sensitive sensor that is more important than more megapixels, at least up to a point. Get one with a good optical zoom number, digital zoom is meaningless.

humbletaxi

Jan 17, 2012
Cottonwood CA
I recently bought a Sony DC-HX50V and carried it on a recent elk hunt. I purchased it mainly because of the lens quality and the 30 power zoom. I had looked at ruggedized cameras etc but picked this one because of quality per the expert at the store and so far have really liked it. Got it as an open box at BestBuy and saved a bunch of money. Might be worth a look.
That looks like a pretty sweet camera, thanks.

humbletaxi

Jan 17, 2012
Cottonwood CA
Canon Elph is what I've been using for 5-6 years. They have some astounding models out now that aren't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes and the image quality on them are remarkably good compared to the DSLR's I run. There are a few small DSLR's like DBull stated but having to put lenses on and off can be a real pain and you run the risk of water and dust getting on the internal lenses!
That is pretty much what I am looking for.

coastalarms

The best compact cameras out there right now are the Sony DSC-RX100 series. They have one of the best sensors out there (1" Exmor) and are excellent in low light. The third in the series is selling for around $800, but the first one is going for about $500. If you can save some pennies they are WELL worth it (and this is coming from a Nikon purist...used to work for them)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html

At below $200 the Canon Powershot S110 is a great buy. Not quite as good of a sensor, but its also a lot less.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889962-REG/Canon_PowerShot_S110_Digital_Camera.html

My pocket camera is a Nikon Coolpix9500. It gets thrown around and does just fine. It has a pretty good zoom for its size but is not as good in low light as the Sony. Does really good video for a point and shoot. (and when you work for them you get em pretty cheap). The 9700 is the current version.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029620-REG/nikon_26469_coolpix_s9700_digital_camera.html

If I was buying right now I would purchase the Sony. You can also get them used from BH Photo. Save a couple buck, returns are no problem with them either.

have fun :)

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
All of these are a good choice. Get the highest pixel you can afford. 12+ is the best. There are a lot out there with 16 now in the $300 and a bit less price point.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Coastalarms, I looked up the reviews on the Sony RX-100 you mentioned and they are impressive. I did a web search and found a new one for $350....pretty good deal. I wish they came out with that quality of a camera that is waterproof! I ruined a $2,000 camera a couple years ago in Alaska and ever since that trip have been hesitant to buy anything that wasn't waterproof.

dead river

Mar 20, 2011
NC
I use a Nikon AW120 on most of my backpack, rugged type outings since it shock proof and waterproof. There are better cameras out there with those features but the reviews of image quality are good (DP Review) and it is economical. For my work (water resources/ bioengineering) being able to turn on the GPS and know the azimuth and location of the shot is nice. I use a full frame dLSR when i get serious but the small and rugged little camera ends up with me most of the time since i can slide it in my pocket. I took it last weekend on a small pit blind duck hunt on the Pamlico Sound. Sand and salt water be damned! i set it in freshe water and wipe it off when i get done with the hunt.

Be careful of focusing on MPs. Admittadely, i am no longer a serious photographer but i used to publish here and there and do some sporting dog work. The sensor is equivalent to the film plane. Back when we all used slide film for the best quality images, the film was a constant, and the camera was just a light box to some extent, the lens was where image quality came from. I learned this from a National Geographich photographer from my home town and it has stuck with me through the years. Digital changes that to some extent because the sensor is now the film plane and processing speed, noise and all other electronic considerations are now in play. However, if you put a 20MP sensor looking through a sorry peice of glass then you get a sorry picture. Never focus only on the MP. The good news is there are very technical reviews out there on every camera that comes out where they evaluate the culmination of the lens and the sensor and what they ultimate image quality is in a standard comparison.....just dig in on reviews.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Dead River, I agree with you 100% that the MP deal has been blown way out of proportion lately! Just because a camera can shoot 16 mp doesn't mean it's a better camera than a 12 MP with quality lens! I would pick the 12 MP better lens any day! I would also agree with you that if you spend a lot of time in the field (working, scouting, hunting, fishing or what ever) it often pays to have a rugged camera body that is waterproof. Back when I was searching for a rugged, light framed camera the one that stood out in reviews was the Panasonic Lumix TS3. That was a few years ago and I've used and abused mine on a regular basis for years....and it still takes stunning pics and video. It's tough to have everything...obvously some quality is lost waterproof coatings over the best lens but there is a trade-off. Some of the waterproof cameras are pretty amazing. It certainly is nice having a durable camera that it really doesn't matter when it rains or is dropped! It's amazing how advanced cameras have become..even in the past 5 years!