Lightweight 2-person Tent?

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Does anyone have any experience with Easton's backpacking tents? They have had them for sale on camofire lately, and I was thinking about picking one up. They look similar to the BA designs but I don't know how the materials compare.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Does anyone have any experience with Easton's backpacking tents? They have had them for sale on camofire lately, and I was thinking about picking one up. They look similar to the BA designs but I don't know how the materials compare.
Yes, they are a good tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I just picked up a Snugpak bunker from Coastal Arms one of the forum sponsors, it's a 3 man, but more like a 2 man with a really nice amount of room for packs, and gear, or to get dressed. They have a discount code right now when you check out for a 15% off, the code is giveaway and a free shipping code of ehj15.

Last edited:

MOcommander

Mar 13, 2016
All I ever see on here is guys buying the most expensive items available. Is there just a monoply on quality backpacking tents or is there cheaper options without getting complete trash. I understand you get what you pay for.......

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
All I ever see on here is guys buying the most expensive items available. Is there just a monoply on quality backpacking tents or is there cheaper options without getting complete trash. I understand you get what you pay for.......
The Marmot Limelight is a cheap and really tough tent. The cross poles are huge. The poles are hooked together in the middle for added rigidity. If I was dedicated to 2 men in a tent, I would buy the Limelight 3. Double doors and vestibules. Shared wt is about 3# each. You can buy this tent on sale for about $210.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The Marmot Limelight is a cheap and really tough tent. The cross poles are huge. The poles are hooked together in the middle for added rigidity. If I was dedicated to 2 men in a tent, I would buy the Limelight 3. Double doors and vestibules. Shared wt is about 3# each. You can buy this tent on sale for about $210.
Lots of options...just like optics I think you gotta get hands on to make decisions....I also think the care and feeding of the gear makes a difference.....the higher end stuff you can pretty much tear down and toss in the bag and it will be good (I got a buddy that does that) and I'm shocked how well the stuff lasts., high quality though I guess......lower end stuff you need to ensure its put away correctly IMO and it is just as light( or close enough) and last as long. Talking average hunts and hunters here not some crazy MT Everest expedition stuff. :)

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
It's not exactly "lightweight", but I just ordered a Easton Rimrock 2p from Cabela's. Footprint is included. It's on sale right now, and with free shipping, it was $104.99. Seemed like a pretty good deal. Had to have it. It looks like it has a little more head room and space than some of the other 2 man tents mentioned here, and the pole structure looks pretty tough. Once I get it out in the woods, I'll let you guys know what I think about it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
5lbs 3 oz. is a bit heavy but the price is certainly right! Im all about saving money. Thanks for the heads up. Im gonna try and get me one for the chitlens to camp in.

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
I run an REI half dome 2p extra long. It is a great tent. Light and plenty of room for two and gear. Have even done two comfortably in tent. Gear in one vestible and dog in the other. Can just take footprint, fly and poles if you want to try more minimalist. REI stands by there gear if there is a problem.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
I agree with crzy cntryboy. REI is a great place to go. You can find some killer deals on REI outlet online. If you maintain your tent with seam sealer and keep it stored and maintained correctly, you should have it for a long time. With that said, paying more is not always better, but I wouldnt go the cheap route, go the best route.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You better be pretty chummy with whoever else is in the tent with you if that is a 3 person tent.

With the front floor only 5'7" that is just enough for 2 men, I would hate to be that third person crawling into it.

I bought a 4 person tent years ago and at best you can get 2 adults into it, I have no idea of how it would sleep 4 unless they were all less than 5' tall.

It is my belief anymore that before you buy a tent to to the store and have them set it up for you and see if you can live in it for a couple of days.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
No, it's 7.6 x 5.7.
You are only looking at front and back width not depth/length.
No one would build a 5.7 length tent unless it was a kid tent. :)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I understand that it is 7.6 X 5.7 but put two grown adults side by side sleeping in a 5.7' width and see what you get not to mention the third person. That is unless two of those people using the tent with you are female.

That only give you 22" of shoulder room for each person if you put 3 people into that tent.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Get the Big Agnes copper spur ul3. Weighs the same or less. Cheaper if you look around. And it has two doors and two vestibules. And it's Bigger.