Light weight backpacking mattress

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Team EF,

I currently sleep on a Thermarest Evolite. Wanting to hear what the crowd uses and how you like em. I most likley only need and R value of 2.1 to 3.0. Thanks.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I too use the X-Therm. It's about as compact and lightweight as you can find. I had a couple of the Big Agnes insulated air cores, and I loved them at the time, but both eventually leaked, were heavier, and the insulating material started to ball up. My X-There is on it's 4th season (with over 150 nights on it), and no issues so far. $200 is pricey, but in this case it is worth it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
I can't sleep in a mummy bag. I've got a Spiral Hugger that lets me stretch out, which I love, but it means these tapered pads don't work for me. One I'm looking at but haven't tried is the NEMO Tensor Insulated Air Pad. NEMO's pads come 25" wide and rectangular and still are pretty light. The 77x25 size is 1 lb 4 oz.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Use Klymit Insulated Static V. Packs extremely small, weighs like 20oz and is like 60$. Great inflation off ground as well

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I really like my Exped Synmat UL7. With pump it weighs 16 oz. and stuffs in a sack the size of a 1 liter Nalgene bottle. For really cold weather I have the Downmat UL9

hoshour

Veteran member
I really like my Exped Synmat UL7. With pump it weighs 16 oz. and stuffs in a sack the size of a 1 liter Nalgene bottle. For really cold weather I have the Downmat UL9
This is the pad I use now. I have the long wide version 78x26x2.8 and it weighs 1 lb 4 oz. However, the UL is no longer available and the available Synmat 7, while reviewers like its comfort, now weighs 1 lb. 14 oz, which is a bit heavy for backpacking.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Not exactly the lightest but I absolutely enjoy my q core deluxe. It is a fantastic pad. Mine is 25 x 78. I don't slide off it and at 4.5" thick super comfortable. Only draw back is it takes a while to inflate it at altitude. HAAA

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Use Klymit Insulated Static V. Packs extremely small, weighs like 20oz and is like 60$. Great inflation off ground as well
i love my Klymit pad! ive said this on here before but i am surprised that klymit isn't talked about that much. i have had 0 issues with mine and i have used it over and over and over again.

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I sacrifice a little weight for a better sleep with the Sea To Summit Comfort Plus Insulated. Super warm and not as crinkly as many others.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I've been using a Neoair for quite a few years on Western US plus extended Alaska hunts. Super light, comfortable, and doesn't take up much room in a pack! A week ago while antelope hunting I started out with my Thermarest in the back of my truck and switched to Neoair.