Lift Kit

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
I run across a lot of threads that talk about the value of having tire chains, and I'm pricing some. I have always thought about lifting my Jeep. In terms of hunting out west, would that be of value? I assume the chains are primarily for sluicey roads. Are there clearance issues that a guy would run into on the roads or anywhere else you can take a Jeep?

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
IMO in almost all areas you will hunt out west a lift would not help you at all. Locking differentials and good tires would help you alot more then a lift. Chains are a must have because when alot of places get wet they are about the only thing that will cut through the snot and get you out even if your tires arent that good.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
Yeah, kind of figured. I grew up hunting in northern Wisconsin. Back in the day, on a lot of public land, you could drive anywhere, and there were always skidder trails and such where clearance would help you. These days, you are restricted to main trails in most places, so it's not as much of an issue anymore.

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
It's all about the tires out here, good ATs or MTs, for the most part any stock height half-ton 4x4 will get you where you want to go. I carry chains in the winter but luckily have never had to strap em on. In NV you better have 8ply or better and I always carry 2 spares. I think we are a little different than up north though.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
It's all about the tires out here, good ATs or MTs, for the most part any stock height half-ton 4x4 will get you where you want to go. I carry chains in the winter but luckily have never had to strap em on. In NV you better have 8ply or better and I always carry 2 spares. I think we are a little different than up north though.
You need spares for sure. We went through 2-3 spare tires elk hunting in 07. Thank god my dad had 3 of them.

My bro is trying to get a 6" on the f250. We got some mts and new rims on it already

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
SW Idaho claimed my tire a couple years ago. i put the 1/2 flat spare on and went back to town and got 4 new tires and started over the next day! lol

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Lifts help if you plan on hunting where trails exist in extremely rocky terrain...like where I hunt. Heck, I had to put a lift on my ATV, because I bottomed out (highcentered) on rocks. A stock height half-ton would never make it. What isn't rocky is like greased snot after the least bit of moisture...like what has already been stated, tire chains are a must. As are a few spares.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
There is some personal preference and applicability here. No lift equals smaller tires which equate to less tread surface for tire contact and traction. Having said that..too much lift can equal a top heavy rig and render a ride just about useless (in areas I hunt) the larger tires are handy to have when you can air down a bit and lay some solid traction in muddy/snowy/icy terrain. But I think (personal preference) you only need a lift big enough to give you room for the desired tire height. The additional articulation helps in rocky situations as well. One other benefit of a lift is if you like your rocker panels, bumpers, and other body lines. Getting your truck/jeep up a couple inches keeps it a bit safer on the trails and gives you a bit more confidence when you end up on a a washed out road where your surrounded by rocks. Dependent upon the vehicle of course. A 1 ton dodge comes with added leafs in the rear and ive always just added a 3" leveling kit in the front to clear 35's and it has worked well. A jeep is designed to have much more articulation but would need +\- 3" of lift all around to clear 35's without ripping into the fenders. Size and weight ratio will play a bit of a factor on selecting what size tires work best for your rig as well. A jeep with 40" super swampers is probably not worth the $ compared to a jeep with 34-35" mud terrains. Im sure its useful in some applications but your only utilizing so much of the tread at any given time.

P.s -to the guy with the 12"lifted big block cj5 on 44" mickey thompson super swampers. Im not hating! I think your cool. But this post is directed for a different purpose. :)

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
All these guys are rite on. Take it from a guy who may see snow once a year your gona want a good set of chains. On my first hunting trip to the rockys I wanted to skimp by without em but my buddy was smart enuff to buy a set and when we hit the hard pack ice I was thanking him. The chains are way more important than tires or lift.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Ill also add.. The best offroad combination is the one you DO NOT have emotional attachment to! Dont take the one that before you leave you hear "babe, dont you scratch my new truck!" As your walking out the door. Ive gotten ALOT more places with a rented jeep liberty than I have with my personal rock crawlers. Just get the extra ins.

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
You hit the western prairie back roads right after a rain storm and you'll wish to heck you had brought those chains because without them you aren't going anywhere in that greased slop except maybe into a ditch or gulley. A body lift will help some to keep body damage to a minimum in really rocky areas.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
There is some personal preference and applicability here. No lift equals smaller tires which equate to less tread surface for tire contact and traction. Having said that..too much lift can equal a top heavy rig and render a ride just about useless (in areas I hunt) the larger tires are handy to have when you can air down a bit and lay some solid traction in muddy/snowy/icy terrain. But I think (personal preference) you only need a lift big enough to give you room for the desired tire height. The additional articulation helps in rocky situations as well. One other benefit of a lift is if you like your rocker panels, bumpers, and other body lines. Getting your truck/jeep up a couple inches keeps it a bit safer on the trails and gives you a bit more confidence when you end up on a a washed out road where your surrounded by rocks. Dependent upon the vehicle of course. A 1 ton dodge comes with added leafs in the rear and ive always just added a 3" leveling kit in the front to clear 35's and it has worked well. A jeep is designed to have much more articulation but would need +\- 3" of lift all around to clear 35's without ripping into the fenders. Size and weight ratio will play a bit of a factor on selecting what size tires work best for your rig as well. A jeep with 40" super swampers is probably not worth the $ compared to a jeep with 34-35" mud terrains. Im sure its useful in some applications but your only utilizing so much of the tread at any given time.

P.s -to the guy with the 12"lifted big block cj5 on 44" mickey thompson super swampers. Im not hating! I think your cool. But this post is directed for a different purpose. :)
Correct hardstalk, I'm not talking monster truck lifts either, just enough to clear larger tires. And the taller you go with tires, the more low end torque you lose. You go too tall with your tire, you can plan on changing gears as well. I deal with both rocks & mud.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
"The best offroad combination is the one you DO NOT have emotional attachment to! Dont take the one that before you leave you hear "babe, dont you scratch my new truck" "
That one, I know. I'm on my third Cherokee, and the newest was 6 years old when I bought it. Think I'll just buy the chains and spend the other money elsewhere (got plenty of other things to spend money on -- like another spare).
I saw some Thule chains online for about $100 a pair. Self-tensioning were about $50-70 more. Is that worth it? I've never owned a set of chains in my life.
Honestly, the thing that concerns me the most out there is the lack of trees. I've been stuck plenty of times, and (almost) always was able to get out with a come-along, tow cord, and a couple of chains, as long as I had a tree to anchor off of.
Thanks all, for the input.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
That sounds kinds high but I havent bought any in a while. What size are your tires? You dont need anything fancy. Any chains will work (not cables though), I have even got them "used" before and cut them down to fit. I have never had self tensioning ones. I just put a bungie cord around the outside to keep them snug, and I have used a bale twine when I didnt have anything else. Its important to try them and make sure they fit BEFORE you go hunting and need them. You want to cut any extra links off the inside, but on the outside you want a few extra because sometimes you have to move the truck some to get them tight and you need some extra, especially if you are putting them on after you are already stuck (oh no I have never done that.....lol)