Life long dream

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Living in Oregon and only having a once in a lifetime Goat or Sheep tag, my time is running out. Age and physical condition are working against me, but hopefully until such time that I actually draw a tag somewhere, I can live vicariously through some great stories here! Thanks Eastmans!

Attachments

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
Good luck Jerry in the up coming draws. My father put in for moose goat and sheep for 38 eight years before drawing a goat tag two years ago. Keep on the grind!

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
I hate to do it guys, but I'm going to brag.

I live in British Columbia. I can hunt Big Horn, Stone's, and Dall sheep every year with an over the counter tag. Goat is the same way, every year, over the counter. We do have some areas that are limited entry (controlled hunts) but there are lots of open season areas.

I've yet to put an arrow through any of these fine animals, but I see legal rams and billies every year. Love this place.

It hurts me to move to Alberta next year for my PhD.

gunsight

Feb 21, 2011
Alaska
Well bro, guess I could rub it in and say something like the last guy. Namely an over the counter moose hunt up here for us old folks doesn't cost a cent and whilst you're looking for that nice bull, you can also drop black bear, caribou, wolf, griz, and any number of other small game such as ptarmigan, grouse, etc. Course you do have to pay $25 for a griz tag, and you do have to be 60, and ya have to be a one year resident. Other than that, never a dime to hunt, fish, or trap. Can't beat that with a large stick. See you flatlanders up here someday...???

lukeandwillsdad

Feb 22, 2011
georgia

I live in British Columbia. I can hunt Big Horn, Stone's, and Dall sheep every year with an over the counter tag. Goat is the same way, every year, over the counter. We do have some areas that are limited entry (controlled hunts) but there are lots of open season areas.

I've yet to put an arrow through any of these fine animals, but I see legal rams and billies every year. Love this place.

Could we get this guy's membership revoked? Lol! Seriously, that's a sweet perk for residents!

Attachments

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
It is nice to be resident, I'll admit that. But I would give my left arm for a game management system like you Americans have. There are 3 conservation officers for an area half the size of Wyoming. I hunt over 175 days a year between spring and fall and I haven't had my licence checked in 5 years. Archery season has the same restrictions on animal size that the any weapon season does and bow season is 9 days. There are no herd management strategies for age class or trophy animals of any species. Our limited draw system is done by hand on paper sheets, and most years results don't come back until after some of the early seasons have started. There hasn't been a comprehensive survey of moose, deer, or elk numbers in my area in over a decade.

Attachments

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Ya'll are killin' me!!!
I'm not too far from getting that "Pioneer' license myself which will make it cheaper too hunt but the tags are just getting harder and harder to draw. If I haven't drawn an Oregon tag within the next 5 years The spouse has said OK to going out of state to get my Ram. Gunsight I will be up there someday to visit you and the other half!

Rob

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
Gunsight, this flatlander will be up there someday. And to be a BC resident and hunt sheep and goat every year....I think I would be in heaven! Consider yourselves very lucky men.

Duk Dog

Feb 25, 2011

Ah come on now, Alberta isn't that bad. ;) BC does have some awesome opportunities though, no doubt.

ultramag

Feb 24, 2011
Montana
Gunsight, you will see me & a couple buddies up there in September 2013, years of not drawing moose tags in Montana finally pushed us over the edge.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
Well bro, guess I could rub it in and say something like the last guy. Namely an over the counter moose hunt up here for us old folks doesn't cost a cent and whilst you're looking for that nice bull, you can also drop black bear, caribou, wolf, griz, and any number of other small game such as ptarmigan, grouse, etc. Course you do have to pay $25 for a griz tag, and you do have to be 60, and ya have to be a one year resident. Other than that, never a dime to hunt, fish, or trap. Can't beat that with a large stick. See you flatlanders up here someday...???
First of all, I don't consider myself a flatlander. Second of all, I'm only 23 and have 10 points in sheep and moose. I definitely have the itch to hunt them both, (especially sheep) but I'm willing to wait for both my Wyoming trophies. If I play my cards right, I should have a shot opportunity on a decent black bear every year. I'm sure Alaska is amazing but I will never move out of Wyo.

rocky mt addict

Mar 5, 2011
Elko MN
i hunted in BC for 5 days. saw stone's sheep (one at 50 yards), many 6 x 6 elk, a herd of mountain caribou, many legal bull moose (they came into camp to eat the horses hay), large grizzlies at close range (one charge me trying to claim my elk carcass), a few goats at a distance... i think their management system works pretty well.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Why are the tags limited to only a few? Here in Cal. you can only receive ONE sheep tag in your whole life. Also Cal only has about twenty tags available total. ???
No Joke!!! I wish I could afford to go out of state every year, because elk and antelope draws aren't much better here in CA.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
Keep the dream alive, people do draw the tags, the ram in my avator was taken last fall after what I considered 12 long years of rejection notices, I realize that is on the short end of the scale though, as many people have waited significantly longer and still not drawn.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Keep the dream alive, people do draw the tags, the ram in my avator was taken last fall after what I considered 12 long years of rejection notices, I realize that is on the short end of the scale though, as many people have waited significantly longer and still not drawn.
Great ram! What unit did you draw?

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
It's a Washington ram, netted 176 6/8, not bad for a cali. He's an incredible ram with horn lengths of almost 38 and bases over 15, I am VERY happy with him.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
It's a Washington ram, netted 176 6/8, not bad for a cali. He's an incredible ram with horn lengths of almost 38 and bases over 15, I am VERY happy with him.
If I drew a tag and scored on something like that, I could almost quit hunting because nothing could top it! Congratulations, even though I am blue with envy!!!! :)

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Think positive! I wish you the best on the draws. I got tired of trying for a goat tag in the lower 48 so I booked a hunt in BC. Can't wait for this fall. IMO BC & AK are the best places to go hunt goats.