License Distribution Public Involvement – Process Update Proposal

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I scanned this attachment and am going to read it in detail later today. There is a lot of BS included in the proposals. The problem mallardsx2 brought up is a REAL problem (who comes up with these ideas). One that really stuck in my mind and really effects the way I plan my hunts here in Colorado. It says preference must be used for any picks that are drawn (my language). So if you do first choice is points and then have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice, like I do to build points and still get the opportunity to hunt deer, that option disappears. Under this option your points would be used for ANY choice you draw.

For years I applied to be a member of various focus groups and the public commission to no avail. I am convinced they really screen who gets to sit on these groups so they can get the ideas and suggestions they want. I know that politics play an important part of who the governor appoints to the commission and of course it's the governor who appoints the head of CP&W.

We have to pay attention so these hairbrained, penalizing ideas don't get into policy. Some of these would really change our opportunities for hunting.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
CC, I see your side of the coin for sure.

Unfortunately, whether you are a NR or a Res, the idea of building points while still drawing a lesser tag or even an OTC tag and going hunting is an unsustainable model given the amount of applicants in the point pool at this point. They are going to have to start taking peoples points for more than just their first choice at some point. I hate if for you, but I would say its coming. Personally, It wont effect me much because I hunt there every couple years and I never put in for a second choice.. BUT, if I lived there I would have some heartburn over the idea for sure. Especially if I had a lot of points...(Which I do have 10 NR deer points currently)

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they slice the tags to an 80/20 split. I doubt they will go further than that but I foresee an 80/20 happening. I also see that Hybrid draw passing which makes me feel bad for the high point holders for sure. Some guys have 28+ points waiting their turn still and might not even get the tag if that passes.

Honestly this all has - L I C E N S E F E E H I K E S...…written all over it in my eyes..

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There are some situations in units that will really be hurt by what I mentioned. I live in an area that is all private and had literally thousands of deer. P&W tries to manage the deer population by issuing lots of private land doe tags. I have up to 50 deer at my place every evening. I apply for a preference point every year until I draw the unit I want to hunt for bucks, usually take 4 to 5 points. I also apply for a PL doe tag as a second choice so I can put some meat in the freezer. I usually draw one every other year. Most of my neighbors do the same thing. I am not going to buy a PL doe tag as a first choice and sit on my deck every year and shoot a doe in my yard! If something like this goes into effect, not many of the locals will get a tag and IMHO poaching of does will go thru the roof.

After I have read in detail the attachment, I am going to call P&W and see how the public can make input during this early process.

Last edited:
Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Without getting too deep in the weeds I would assume that the PL doe tag is not an A list tag and changes being made may not effect your ability to draw it. But I could be wrong. Also I would think that those doe tags did fall into the first choice spectrum, they likely would not get applied for at all and they would be able to be picked up on secondary draw 2nd choice and beyond or on leftover day. Regardless, I see your conundrum with the current ideas. I don't buy doe tags so I don't know how that whole process works or how points come into play for those.

There is no telling how they will implement it or how it will effect you. Hopefully CPW uses some common sense when they put the plan all together but I wont hold my breath.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
There are no easy or perfect solutions, for sure. Trying to find the best compromise is tough. Maybe 80/20 split? Maybe all draw on public land in all units? Maybe keep OTC for private land in some units? Maybe OTC doe/cow permits for private land in some units? Point creep sucks, and it's only gonna get worse no matter what they change or don't change. Going to a hybrid draw is probably the best. Maybe square or cube PPs to help out the folks that have lots of points?

Tough calls all around.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
CPW is making WAY too much money selling points for them to give up on it. They are going to continue with some form of points system or another. There is just too much easy money in it for them. Right now I feel that they are just trying to make the hunting better by addressing sportsmen's concerns without affecting their revenue. Hard to do without raising costs to cover something.

The reality is that everyone is upset at the current situation and the CPW is going to have to do something to curb point creep and shuffle people through the system faster using the same amount of tags.

Either completely eliminate preference points and transition to a random draw allowing people to use their point to increase their chances of drawing (Which would still take point holders 20 years to clear the system)

OR

Make people use their points more frequently. ( Basically, force people to burn their points on primary draw 1-4 choices, and secondary draw 1st - 4th choices)

Its almost got to be one or the other. Either way, people wont be happy. If you a guy who hunts every few years in Colorado, it wont be a huge deal unless they cut the number of NR tags.

One thing I am surprised that they have not done is split the OTC archery into 2-15 day seasons. I know this isn't ideal for someone who lives there and hunts on the weekends, but for OOSERS it would work well and cut down on the traffic. I would even be ok if they proposed this for OOSERS only. I don't hunt more than 15 days anyhow. You choose. You wan to hunt the first 15 days or the last 15 days. But this wasn't even mentioned, which kind of blows my mind a bit because it does solve some crowding issue which is a big point of contingency right now with a lot of guys in OTC units. They could even do this with the Archery Deer tags and it wouldn't bother me. Most OOSERS might get 12 days to hunt when they hunt Colorado. Most of them only hunt 5 days and go home.

Reactions: swampokie

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One thing that surprises me is that there was no mention of giving muzzle loader a separate season away from archery. A the publicity about the archer who was killed by a M/L hunter should have generated some comments or discussion. I quit muzzle loader hunting because of so many archery hunters in the field along with the gun hunters. Really was (and is) a mess.