Leupold VX6 - very impressed

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
Guys, I don't get a lot of time to contribute to the forum, but now that taxidermy season is winding down for me I wanted to share this info.

I put a custom rifle together a couple years ago (300 Win, Winchester Model 70, Benchmark #4 contour, Manners EH3 stock), and put a VX6 3-18 CDS scope on it. My scope has the windplex firedot reticle ( I think that's what it's called). If you are looking for a quality scope that's not overly heavy, has a great reticle, illuminated option, and a zero stop locking turret that works very well, you need to look at the VX6. I did some shooting this weekend and was again impressed with this scope. I've got a pretty decent load worked up for this gun, and the scope just continues to impress. It gathers light well, clarity is good, the turret tracks extremely well, and the firedot saved my butt last Fall when I had to make a follow-up shot on a mule deer at last light.

If you're in the market for a good scope, take a look at the Leupold VX6.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The only problem that I have with a VX-6 is the price. Most hunters can not afford to put a $800+ scope onto a rifle that they use only 3 or 4 times a year when a $400 one will work just as well.

I have both VX-2's and VX-3's on my rifles and have never felt limited with them as far as clarity, light gathering, or shooting range was concerned. And with the VX-3's now you can get a custom etched turret from Leupold for less than $100 if that is what you like.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
I put the VX-6, 2x12 on my Savage 25-06 four years ago. I'm pretty sure I could drive a tack with it at 200 yards. ;) Only complaint, that goes with my other Leupolds, is that its hard to turn the magnification dial when its cold out.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The only problem that I have with a VX-6 is the price. Most hunters can not afford to put a $800+ scope onto a rifle that they use only 3 or 4 times a year when a $400 one will work just as well.
I always say hunting scopes START with the VX-3 and go up from there. It is a good minimum scope. People think I'm nuts telling them a $400 scope is the minimum. The budget scope marketing is amazing and they expect folks to repeatedly buy cheap scopes, trying to get what a good scope would give them & thinking it doesn't get any better than that. Exactly what folks do.

Can't imagine spending 5+ years planning a hunt (saving your preference points), dropping $5,000-$10,000 on the trip, $1,000 on a new mountain gun, 2 weeks vacation, looking for the adventure of his life...and using a new $300 scope. Just saying.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Leupold makes great products and they stand behind them. I own several VX3's and love them. I do like the VX6 but just don't have a rifle for one yet. Maybe when I get that Montana Rifle Company X2 chambered in 6mm Remington I'll need to buy one!

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
I always say hunting scopes START with the VX-3 and go up from there. It is a good minimum scope. People think I'm nuts telling them a $400 scope is the minimum. The budget scope marketing is amazing and they expect folks to repeatedly buy cheap scopes, trying to get what a good scope would give them & thinking it doesn't get any better than that. Exactly what folks do.

Can't imagine spending 5+ years planning a hunt (saving your preference points), dropping $5,000-$10,000 on the trip, $1,000 on a new mountain gun, 2 weeks vacation, looking for the adventure of his life...and using a new $300 scope. Just saying.
You nailed it...when you spend that much, why skimp on the most important part of your rifle setup. Especially when it all comes down to that one shot.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
You nailed it...when you spend that much, why skimp on the most important part of your rifle setup. Especially when it all comes down to that one shot.
I understand what you guys are saying, but a new VX-2 is a solid scope with many, many years of service for many, many people. We use VX-3, but t I wouldn't feel unprepared with a VX-2.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
I understand what you guys are saying, but a new VX-2 is a solid scope with many, many years of service for many, many people. We use VX-3, but t I wouldn't feel unprepared with a VX-2.
I own a VX2 and VX3...trust them just as much as the VX6. The VX6 is just a bigger scope with more magnification. I bought those when I couldn't afford a VX6 and they were right for those guns.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I once read a article in a gun rag that the scope that you place on top of the rifle should cost just as much as the rifle.

Now after saying that I have looked through some mighty fine optics, some of the best German glass that money can buy and I'll still just place my VX3 onto my rifles. I can understand the wants for a better scope such as the VX6 but when it comes down to it I just believe that it is a status symbol for the shooter. A lot like Swarovski's scopes. I have even had shooters look through my VX3's and say that they are just as clear as their Swarovski scope that they have on their custom rifle. And the kicker is the Leupold will hold up better 99% of the time.

This is where I think that the VX6 comes in, to compete with the top tier scopes in price. But when you start looking at a $1200+ piece of glass on top of a rifle that might see some rough use I'll pass even with Leupolds fantastic warranty. But then I am the same way with vehicles. I don't take a $60,000 truck out into the brush where a 4 wheeler will get the job done just as well.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Only complaint, that goes with my other Leupolds, is that its hard to turn the magnification dial when its cold out.
I used to have issues with the magnification ring as well on a VXII and VXIII. Ended up sending them in and when they came back they are easy to move regardless of the weather. You may want to look at sending them in for some doctorimg, just a thought.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have 4 of the VX-6 Leupolds and like them very much. 3 are on rifles I shoot some distance with and are 3-18x with the TMOA reticle. The other is a 1-6x that came with a Ruger Scout rifle I bought. I've had the VX-6 3-18x50 on my 264WM out until dark comparing it side by side with the Swaro 3.5-18x44 on my mountain rifle. I think the Leupold is every bit as bright. The Swaro is a 44mm instead of 50mm objective, and a 30mm instead of 1" tube so it's not an apples to apples comparison. Still I thought it spoke highly of the Leupold. The VX-6 3-18x50 is on my 264WM, the rifle I use whitetail hunting around home where shots often come on cloudy, foggy, rainy days at the very end or beginning of shooting light. The big boys seem more comfortable moving during daylight then.

I love that the Leupold VX-6 has a threaded cap to cover the CDS turret I have built to my load. With that I have zero worries about my turret ever being unintentionally turned, something I check on the Swaro every time I pull it from my Eberlestock scabbard. If I have a need to dial I have time to unscrew the cap first I figure.