Leupold VX-6

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I am not very savvy when it comes to optics, so keep any responses nice and simple for me.

First:
I have a VXII 4-12 in for some service right now. I am seriously looking at the VX-6 for its 3-18 mag range. I am not convinced that I want to carry a spotting scope, so I want to be able to use the rifle scope to get a better look on an animal out there a ways. I am not a hardcore trophy hunter, so i don't care to get into as much detail on a rack as some of you guys. What does everyone think of this VX-6. I am pretty committed to Leupold. They are not just American made, they are about 40 minutes from my house.

Second:
I have seen multipliers that go on binoculars. Why don't the major optics builders make multipliers that spin onto a scope. I believe this would be an easy way to get a look at something way off to help make a decision on "go or not".

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I think you'd almost be better off getting a small spotter like the Vortex Razr 11-33x50 and a super light tripod vs dumping the coin for a VX6. I've never liked trying to look at animals a long ways off in a rifle scope. And with having a tripod you can use a bino attachment to stabilize your bino's when glassing, I started doing this a few years ago and it's the cats meow for looking through bino's if your gonna be sitting down and watching things for a while.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I think you'd almost be better off getting a small spotter like the Vortex Razr 11-33x50 and a super light tripod vs dumping the coin for a VX6. I've never liked trying to look at animals a long ways off in a rifle scope. And with having a tripod you can use a bino attachment to stabilize your bino's when glassing, I started doing this a few years ago and it's the cats meow for looking through bino's if your gonna be sitting down and watching things for a while.
I see where you are at totally. I went without a spotter all last year, and I was questioning whether I really wanted one. The angled razor 50 is definitely the one I would be going with. If they fix up the 4-12 to my liking, then I may get the small spotter back in my think tank. I already have a small tripod that is just right for sitting. The razor 50 would be less investment than a VX-6.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Get a spotter. I cant stand people that use a scope in place of binos or a spotter! A good pair of 10X binos would show almost as much detail as that scope, more in some conditions. Its not all about magnification.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Get a spotter. I cant stand people that use a scope in place of binos or a spotter! A good pair of 10X binos would show almost as much detail as that scope, more in some conditions. Its not all about magnification.
It sounds like I am trying too hard to cut weight in the wrong place. I am also a cheap-ass!! I may look at mounting up the binos and see how i like that. It may be nice for this year, and I can save up some cash. Thanks for the tidbit.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Buy good glass, you will never regret it and while a spotter does add some weight I have never regretted packing it either. To this day my father will not let me put a scope on the 243 he gave me because "people use then instead of binos" .

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I agree with everyone else to get a spotter or good binos and if you are worried about weight look elsewhere. If for no other reason then safety. I still remember this rule like yesterday from hunters safety. Point your gun only at what you intend to shoot whether it is loaded or not. If your looking through a rifle scope attached to your gun you risk pointing it at a lot of unintended targets.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I appreciate everyone's input. I grew up hunting with dad with nothing but the gun in your hand. The only optic we ever had as kids was the scope on the gun. I realize the importance of this flaw. Time to sack up and get a spotter!!