Leupold SX-1 Ventana

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Has any got any experience or know much about this scope? Or have suggestions of a better scope around that price point. Appreciate any help.

sdriverbottom

Jan 3, 2014
South Dakota
I looked at this spotter some time ago as well, I thought the clarity was pretty good through all power rangers (It was all in doors looking so not much of a test) , the other thing I noticed was the bulk of the scope. Thing seemed huge! Maybe the size isn't a factor for you. In the end I elected for a different spotter in a different price range..I talked myself into buy once cry once! lol

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you want to use it for but I dont think anything new in that price range is going to be very good quality. Optics are one of those things where you usually get what you pay for. If thats your price range I would look around for a deal on a used vortex or something like that.

Squirrel tail

Aug 28, 2012
Dillon MT
I agree with musket man about the quality vs price aspect a couple years I bought a redfield spoter and have had to send it back a few times but on the other hand I did spot elk with it that I wouldn't have seen
at almost 2 miles away

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Don't be afraid to look at used spotters too. A couple of years ago I bought a Leupold Boone & Crocket HD for $700. It was in great shape, only a year old and everything came with it. new price would have been close to $2000. Just be selective.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I was interested in the same scope. I talked to Guy about it along with Hardstalk, Andrew and Bitterootbulls, Matt here on the forum as well as looked into a few reviews and settled on the vortex Razor HD. Take a good look at the Razor. Try to go to a shop that has both and do a side by side comparison. I've been super happy with Vortex.

clacklin009

Apr 1, 2012
SLC, UTAH
The Ventana is a good scope in the price range, right now there is not much competition in this price range. The Razor is great but it isn't even in the same ball park as the Ventana. There are several layers of scopes to go through as options before you reach the Razor. Right now the Nikon Prostaff 5 is $100 off so it is $399 for a 60mm and is an improvement to the Ventana. I would take the Ventana over the Vortex Daimondback that runs $399 for a 60mm. Leupold offers the Kenai an 80mm that has a great picture and comes with two eye pieces for $899 and the Viper is a similar option from Vortex for the 80mm at $899 as well. The 65mm Viper runs $649 and is an excellent choice for a smaller scope (still heavy).

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
what is the difference for useage between the 60mm and the 80mm. Maybe i need to just wait and save a little more or look for a good used scope.

clacklin009

Apr 1, 2012
SLC, UTAH
Better light gathering with the bigger scopes. Larger scopes might not fit your need if you will be packing long distances and backpack hunting. Overall an 80mm will have a better, brighter picture and allows the scope some more useful magnification. Also, as you spend more money you will get more useful magnification, getting a better picture in the higher magnifications.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
65 vs 80 kinds depends what you want to use it for. 80's are really nice but they are big and heavier. I prefer a 65 because they are smaller and more packable. In my experience 50's dont bring in light very well. IMO a good 65mm is the best all around spotter. Get the best you can, even if it means waiting longer to save up the money for it. You will never look back and wish you had got a cheaper one!