Leupold HD 12-40x60, how much better than old non-HD?

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
I own an old Leupold 12-40x60 spotter, like it, but 20 years later my eyes are not nearly as good. Want to upgrade; is the new Leupold with HD glass definitely better in clarity and definition compared to my old glass? I do know in the EHJ test Issue 141, they actually rated it better than the Vortex Razor HD, and nearly equal to the Zeiss Dialyt. That is just one test, and two guys opinions, probably an excellent comparison.....but several of you would probably disagree from some posts I read. I do not know the details of how they arrived at "star ratings" on clarity for example. What about comparison of the Leupold HD glass vs. old glass, anyone?

Price is probably not an issue in my upgrade; my eyes just need better glass, with better definition & clarity. Thanks for any input you can give.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I've looked through an old Leupold and found it not quite as good as my Nikon ED50. I will say though that my eyes must really like the Nikon, because for me it outdoes lots of scopes it shouldn't.

Tonight a buddy brought out a used Swaro 20-60x80 STS that he just picked up, an older non-HD model. We had it, his Vortex Razor HD, and my ED50 side by side through dark. The Nikon held in there better than expected, although it couldn't match the bigger glass the last few minutes. I was amazed at how much better the Swaro was for me than the Razor though. The Razor eyepiece just doesn't work for me as well as some I think. The Swaro was amazing. Now I am wanting to look at getting an HD version for myself.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
If price is not an issue then you should go with swaro. I own a couple of non HD gold ring leupold optics (a spotter and bino), a high end leica bino, and a HD swaro spotter. The swaro blows them out of the water for clarity. To put it in lamest terms, the swaro is as crisp as of view as you can get. The leupold optics are lucky if they get brought as a 24/7 truck optic or a backup optic. Typically they get left in the gun safe.

I can not comment on the leupold hd vs non hd but you might as well go all out if you're going to go.

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
Unless I hear from someone who can speak specifically to the Leupold with the newer HD, & maybe I will look at Swaro and some other higher dollar scopes. I know, for example, what a difference in rangefinders I found when I moved up from Nikon to a Leica for example.

One item I forgot to mention, and the reason I ended up with the Leupold spotter in the first place as much as anything.....with my eyeglasses, I am really needing long eye relief. I will have to be sure and check the specs on scopes as I consider them. I remember years ago before I bought my still daily Bausch & Lomb Elite 8x42, I really wanted a Swaro, but the eye relief just was not sufficient for me.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a Leupold Boone & Crockett HD that I really like (they don't make this particular model anymore). When I bought it, the HD was a lot clearer, with more definition. At the time I thought it was well worth the extra $$.

Daybreak

Jan 21, 2012
Central Iowa
I have a Leupold Boone & Crockett HD that I really like (they don't make this particular model anymore). When I bought it, the HD was a lot clearer, with more definition. At the time I thought it was well worth the extra $$.
Thanks. I am just trying to get some verification of what the recent EHJ 8 scope review showed....amazingly they gave it ratings on just those factors you mention equal to scopes of nearly twice its cost...Swaro, Leica, Zeiss. Yet, they put it in the "green" mid range overall rating. Just trying to confirm that this HD glass is as good as they said..... usually you get what you pay for in glass quality, but maybe this is an exception.

I know that my old Leupold pre-HD is not as good as Swaro's I compared it to many years ago. Thanks again

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Thanks. I am just trying to get some verification of what the recent EHJ 8 scope review showed....amazingly they gave it ratings on just those factors you mention equal to scopes of nearly twice its cost...Swaro, Leica, Zeiss. Yet, they put it in the "green" mid range overall rating. Just trying to confirm that this HD glass is as good as they said..... usually you get what you pay for in glass quality, but maybe this is an exception.

I know that my old Leupold pre-HD is not as good as Swaro's I compared it to many years ago. Thanks again
Personally I like Leupold, have for many, many years. Granted, I have not compared them (especially scopes) to the really expensive imports, but they do the job for me. Spotters are really very different. @ things really are on my list of needs....power/definition and weight/size. My Leupold fills these rqmts, too bad they don't make it now.

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
I really like my Leupold 12-40x60 HD but did not look though the pre-HD outside only in thr store Ive used mine in eastern Kentucky an northern Colorado I like the size of it most of all an it was in my $ range

Mark

Jun 30, 2013
So Cal
If you go Swarovski look on eBay. I highly recommend used vs new. The warranty carries over and their repair facility is second to none. Save yourself $1000s. I got all mine used and couldn't be happier.