Leupold gold ring hd spotting scope.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I am purchasing a new spotting scope due to the fact that my Nikon did a nose dive off of a ledge last season. I am looking at the Leupold gold ring HD spotting scope kit. It retails for around 1300.00, I have a buddy that owns an outdoor shop and I will get it for 700.00 out the door. I know this is a smokin deal but I want to know if this scope is a good scope. If the answer is no then I will spend the extra cash and buy a vortex or another scope for a round 1300.00 and just pay full price. Leupold is the only high end brand he currentlu gets deals on. Thanks fellers I appreciate your info.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
That is a great deal on an excellent spotter. It is a good spotter for backpacking. A Vortex Razor HD or Zen Ray ED2 spotter will outperform the Leupy, but at the cost of size and weight.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I do not have the scope you are mentioning, but I have looked through several on hunts and they are fantastic! I own a 25x-50mm fixed Leupold Gold Ring and love it but if I was looking for one now, I think I would get the 15x-30x-50mm compact Gold Ring. Those are light and compact and yet have enough magnification for long distance veiwing. Just my opinion. I think you will be very happy with the scope you are talking about and it's a good one, plus you are getting such a screaming deal! I say get it!
David

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
That is a great deal on a great spotter. I had the non-HD version for years, and it worked like a charm. It is not quite up to the performance level of the Vortex Razor HD you referenced (and $1300 is a great price for that one), but it is not nearly as big either.

I currently use and love my Razor HD.

That little GR spotter David referenced is a nice setup as well. My buddy loves his.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
my only concern would be the design, that it might be more difficult to pack around than a straighter optic, but I have looked through the leuopolds and they have nice clarity for the price, and for being a cheaper non euro brand. also if he would give you a better deal for just the scope, since you are only gaining a tripod and a case for the package, and I would rather get my own tripod, the ones they give you aren't that high of quality