Let?s see your best sheds or deadheads

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO

Not any of my biggest but by far my best two days of shed hunting! Picked them up the past two days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
That?s a crazy amount of sheds for two days. I?m 47 and have spent thousands of days in the woods on my boots and have only found one elk shed in my life. I bet I haven?t found much more tha 100 deer sheds in my life. A good day for me is to find one.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are in a good area that the deer and elk winter and are still in it in the spring when they shed you will find them and at times lots of them.

In my area the shed hunters are out as soon as the snow allows them to get out and you are lucky to stumble across one when out hiking.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Here's a big winter kill that the Boy Scouts picked up this spring on the Nat'l Elk Refuge. He's the biggest winter kill I've scored for them since helping them for about the last 15 years.
411 gross 392 net 2018.jpg

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
That?s a crazy amount of sheds for two days. I?m 47 and have spent thousands of days in the woods on my boots and have only found one elk shed in my life. I bet I haven?t found much more tha 100 deer sheds in my life. A good day for me is to find one.
Haha! This was by far the best I have ever done! I love to get out and look when I am not hunting! Good exercise too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
your looking in the wrong places . go to where they shed.:D

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
your looking in the wrong places . go to where they shed.:D
That would be good information to have. Apparently I have no clue where that is. The one elk she I did find was in an area I’ve never seen an elk in. Head high manzanita that I could barely get through, only way I found it was I stepped on it. I would go back there to look for sheds if I had to. C9E183A6-5020-466F-86DC-024B5FE5E9B9.jpg

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
That would be good information to have. Apparently I have no clue where that is. The one elk she I did find was in an area I’ve never seen an elk in. Head high manzanita that I could barely get through, only way I found it was I stepped on it. I would go back there to look for sheds if I had to. View attachment 21405
find where the bachelor bands are hanging out around easter when they are shedding. you may find them
(sheds) most anywhere but consentrate on the south-west facing slopes

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
find where the bachelor bands are hanging out around easter when they are shedding. you may find them
(sheds) most anywhere but consentrate on the south-west facing slopes
I don’t think we have bachelor bands around here Kid. I haven’t seen an elk since last September.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I think I could find elk sheds if I traveled to where there are more elk but ain’t no body got time for that. I would think I would have stumbled on more than one in my life though.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
nice!so what did he score?
He was 411 4/8" gross. 392 3/8" net. I heard a few folks at the auction claim there was no way that bull scored over 400". I think just the pictures say otherwise. Here's the other side view.

411 Bull 2018.jpg

Here's another one that didn't make it through winter. He's 383 1/8" gross, 354 2/8 net

383 Bull 2018.jpg

Everyone's seen this last bull's videos and sheds before but here's his skull. He died last November apparently from scabies.

The Big Bull.jpg

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I think I could find elk sheds if I traveled to where there are more elk but ain’t no body got time for that. I would think I would have stumbled on more than one in my life though.
Used to be good numbers of elk in the Ochoco's. Just a little north and some east of you. Not been there in quite a while. I do stumble on elk sheds in the Blues once in a while. They are out there...but it's Oregon...