Legal CC permit holder gunned down by Costco employee.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
As much as I try to teach my kids to respect authoirty, it gets harder and harder these days. Should I teach them to be scared of the police? Should I teach them to be a lemming and let go of their rights? Or should I just roll the dice they don't one day get gunned down by some young punk wearing a badge that makes him consumned by the power not humbled by the responsability? This makes me sick.

http://americanvisionnews.com/3642/cops-gun-down-man-for-legally-carrying-firearm

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
This is sad. It is amazing how scum are aloud to remain on this planet and good people are removed. Sometimes this world, and especially this country, make no sense!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Wow! What a shame! That fool needs to be put down. Cops always think they are better then the rest of us. I know because I have some in my family

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I think you guys may want to look into that 2010 shooting a little deeper than the propaganda link. I believe that the Coroner's Inquest jury found the shooting justified. I also think the family dropped their lawsuit against the agency. I also think one officer involved was later fired and convicted of a crime in an unrelated event.

ChadH,

I think it is good to teach your kids to know and respect local law enforcement. They may need them someday.

Cops are like any other profession. Some are better than others. Some get in the career for the right reasons, others don't.

My dad retired this January after 38 years of dedicated service. I am proud of him. I will finish my 10th year of sworn duty this August. I am proud of what I do. The vast majority of those I have worked with have dedicated their lives to doing the right thing. They have also endured being painted by the broad brush because of the poor choices and bad behavior of just a few. The good cops out there are just as happy to see the bad apples plucked from the barrel as the general public.

I haven't posted about my profession on this site until now. It can be a distraction from what this forum is for, and that is hunting, but I thought I would put my .02 in.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
So much for holding it close to the chest huh bb?

This shooting happened a while ago like bb said, both parties are not innocent IMO. There were errors on both sides obviously. It sucked it ended this way. Lvmpd have always been known for being a little trigger happy and I would too if I lived in that craphole. It's dangerous and they want to go home at night like the rest of us.

Tell your dad congrats, that is one heck of a long career. Thank you.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
BB, you definitely have my respect also! :)

It's just like everything else in the world basically, there's always the bad apples that ruin it for everyone else. I have two cops in my family and they both wanted go into the profession because they wanted to make things safer for their families and everyone else.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
It is a sad story. Its no coincidence that valuable evidence was suddenly unavailable. Seems that everytime its in their favor the evidence in that shop is there. When its against them, its not. Go back and do some public information research. That shop is as dirty as the city they patrol.
I hope never myself to have to face what that man and his wife had to that day.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I don't think the story represents all of law enforcement. There are some bad apples in every occupation out there though and that is always sad hearing when folks don't do the right thing. I tend to believe most cops are not bad cops and they are trying to do the right thing and help keep folks safe.

I have a couple of close friends that I hunt and fish with on a regular basis and I also have family members that have served and have now retired from the police force. I'm proud to know them all and I'm very thankful for their service. It's not an easy job that they perform. I've heard more than a few of those experiences that the've shared with me over the campfire and while breaking bread with them at family gatherings. Some of those experiences, well I'll just say did not sound all that pleasant for them.

For those of you on the forum that have served in law enforcement, Bitterroot Bulls and others and also those who's family that serve or has served; Me and my family are very thankful for your service. :)

Last edited:

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I will start by saying that my Grandfather was a cop for 35 years, my 2 uncles are both cops, and my best friend since I was 12 is a cop. That does not affect the way I feel about police punishment for stupid officers. If an officer makes a serious mistake that affects the civilian population he is punished as a cop and not a normal citizen. I don't care if a person is a cop or not, if you take a life that is not warranted you should be tried for murder not fired. This is not Iraq or Afghanistan where our boys face deadly IEDs and gun fire every day. It is still the United States and cops should act accordingly. I don't know the whole story of this case so I will not comment on it. People in general support the police BUT the bad apples need to be made an example of not fired. That would earn the public's trust. Thanks for your service BB.

tradarch61

Jan 12, 2012
Bitteroot Bulls, I wish to thank you for your service. I have spent the past 24 years as a deputy sheriff and currently a police officer in Kansas City. The news link that told this story is somewhat flawed in how they explained the sequence of events. I can't say whether the officer was right or wrong....he reacted to the information he was given and made a split second decision. He was told an armed man was acting irrationally in a crowded store. Probably his commands and instructions were very confusing to the victim as he did not know he was under suspicion. He reached for his identification showing his CC permit and the officer probably thought he was reaching for a gun, but we will never know for sure. It was just a very sad and trajic ending and there does have to be acountability on the officer's part.