Late plains rifle hunt colorado

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
My dad and I are looking to do a d.i.y. public land plains late rifle hunt in CO. I've been doing a lot of research on trying to pick a good public land area/unit. I've narrowed it down to a few. I was thinking the Pawnee national land. Does anybody have any input on that area. We're no strangers to hunting Muleys and putting on the miles and glassing for them. Is there a good number of deer in that area, lot of pressure, etc? Any input would be appreciated!

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
Muley bound,
The deer density there is very low. If you are looking for a dyi on the plains you have unit 142, 103 the Comanche grasslands and the Pawnee. To get in areas that have decent deer densities is likely going to require a trespass fee. The landowners in eastern Colorado are becoming guarded and gaining access is becoming really difficult and almost impossible in some units. Good luck

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
MB, Since you have a couple of years before you go, start knocking on doors now. Try and stay around a crop, Mule deer love to eat things other than grass. Good luck!

muleywannabe

Apr 2, 2013
The deer took a serious beating from the weather and drought last two years. You might seriously consider going out this summer and going door to door and asking permission or pay a trespass fee. it will better your chances significantly and will help you in hunting the crop fields more.

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
My dad and I are looking to do a d.i.y. public land plains late rifle hunt in CO. I've been doing a lot of research on trying to pick a good public land area/unit. I've narrowed it down to a few. I was thinking the Pawnee national land. Does anybody have any input on that area. We're no strangers to hunting Muleys and putting on the miles and glassing for them. Is there a good number of deer in that area, lot of pressure, etc? Any input would be appreciated!
I assume from your post your a non-resident? Have you acquired enough Preference Points for the type of hunt you are looking for? Area 142 was mentioned as was area 103. It will take you 18 PP for Area 142 (18 years to draw a rifle buck tag) for a NR to draw a buck tag. Area 103 will require 4 PP for a 1st rifle season tag. It requires 14 PP for a late rifle season buck tag. Hunting mule deer bucks on the eastern plains requires lot's of planning and PP. There are no over the counter tags in Colorado for deer....all draw. You might be able to buy a land owner tag from an outfitter but that requires hiring an outfitter who has leased access to the private ranches. DIY..????...pretty tough.