Late Jarbidge Bull Tag!!

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Hey guys,

So this is the first big LE tag I've ever drawn and I'm already getting excited/anxious. I have a few specific questions but all and any help is appreciated. I've already got several maps of the area, have google-earthed the area a million times, and I've talked to a former tag holder. I also have a friend that is really familiar with the area that I haven't been able to get a hold of yet. (Plus, I got some new glass from hardstalk, which should really help!) So I have a pretty good starting point. Anyways, in anticipation of shooting a good bull (am I getting ahead of myself?), I was hoping someone could give some recommendations on a taxidermist in Reno, or maybe Elko for that matter. I have a really good taxi back home in MT but it seems a bit ridiculous to send my bull all the way back up there if I can find a good one in NV. It sounds like some of you Reno guys have some really good taxi's. Also, I've gotten the general impression that getting into the wilderness will really help; getting away from all the pickups and atv's, etc. My family has horses and right now we're planning on doing a diy horse pack trip. My question is this: The vast majority of elk are harvested in 072. Is there any reason to spend my time looking in 073 or 074? Also, being that I have the late tag, does the elk distribution change a whole lot as the season gets into November? Should I expect a ton of snow? How about outfitter pressure?

I have over two weeks in November already scheduled off and this tag couldn't have come at a better time for me. I plan on getting out there a few times before the season to get a lay of the land and will be up there a few days before the season starts. My friend told me he would be really disappointed if I shot anything smaller than a 350 bull. I have the time to put in, but is this a realistic goal? I have no problem shooting a smaller bull as my biggest isn't even close to that if it's not really feasible, but also don't want to drop the hammer too quick if the area's potential is out there. I've heard I'll be able to look over quite a few bulls and just want to make sure I balance reality and expectations.

I'm really excited about this tag! Thanks in advance to all you crazy Nevada guys! I may have to pour a keystone out on my hunt for the homies just for good luck...

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have the best taxi in Reno and Sparks. PM me when you need his info and I'll hook you up with him

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
So late season expect snow and cold temps for sure. The elk will move a lot but to be honest I've only hunted deer in that area years ago. 350" is a good doable bench mark for Nv. But keep your mind open and don't make it just a score hunt. I've seen some 330-340 bulls that it was real hard not to shoot. No clue on the outfitter pressure maybe some one else can help with your other questions. Good luck and congrats!

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Thanks guys. Inbox cleared. And I really am not obsessed with the score. I just want to make sure I make the most of the opportunity and don't do anything stupid. What I'm really looking forward to is hunting and spending time with my old man. We used to hunt all the time together and haven't hunted together for almost 4-5 years. So this is a great chance to get him, some other family, and friends together. Ryan Hatfield's "Clarity of Vision" in the summer WH was a good read and good reminder of what's important.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Those bulls come from 072 cause thats where the wilderness area is. We saw2 really nice 6 point bulls the last time my sone had a
rifle deer tag there a couple fof years ago. They were in some really steep stuff.
The fact that you have access to horses is a real plus.
Good luck on your hunt.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
I'll be following this as well. I'd like to just take the family and horses in the summer if I don't draw a tag one of these years.

Good Luck MSU.

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Thanks guys! I'm starting to get super excited as it's right around the corner. My old man got new shoes on the horses, is getting the brand inspections done, and Coggins test to get all that in order. Thanks to everyone who sent info my way. Special shout out to luckynv for all his help. I've heard of some great bulls coming out of there this year and seriously can't wait to get out there! I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how the hunt goes.

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Well, final prepping is all done and we're leaving tomorrow. Went and shot the rifle a few more times this afternoon just to make sure I was still dialed in before I left town. Can't wait!

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
This is long overdue I know and apologize for leaving you guys hanging. After the hunt I spent over two months interviewing across the country... Anyways, I had a great hunt and took a decent bull. It wasn't quite what I imagined and yet was more than I could of asked for.

The day before the season started, it took us an entire day to get to camp between rough roads and shuttling the horses down roads not quite suitable for a trailer. We met another party doing the same made camp next to each other.
Our ponies at camp:646.jpg
On the first morning of the hunt, we were only a quarter mile from camp, when my horse spooked at something in the willows below me. In the pre-dawn darkness, I could make out elk antlers rising from the tall grass not 15 yards downhill from me. As my snorting horse was trying to do a 180 on the trail my dad was trying make sense of the commotion. I said, "There's a bull right there!" He was a very nice bull and I almost couldn't believe our fortune, but I quickly realized something was amiss as the bull wasn't really going anywhere. Once I had my four-legged ship righted, the bull had crashed through the willows and crossed a small stream. As we rounded the corner though, we found him lying sprawled out on the ground barely breathing. He was missing hair across most of his neck and the emaciated skin left exposed looked necrotic or infected with varying shades of white and black patches. His muscle mass had completely deteriorated and he looked like a bag of bones sucking his last breaths.
Here's a photo of him:655.jpg656.jpg
He had around 320-330 inches of antler, almost had seven points a side, and looked as though he had been healthy through the rut. Who knows what happened to him as there were no bullet, arrow, claw, etc. wounds anywhere. We were left with quite the moral quandary before my hunt even technically started. I wanted to do the right thing and shoot him to put him out of his misery, but if I shot the bull, would I have to put my tag on him? The meat was ruined, so now I'd have a head with no meat? Explaining this to a warden seemed tenuous at best. The internal moral/legal debate finally had us deciding to leave him and let nature take its course.