Kuiu Icon 6000

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
A new company is coming out called Kuiu. It was started by one of the former owners of Sitka Gear. They are doing a full line of clothing as well as a couple packs. A 3000 and a 6000 CI pack that will be interchangable on the same carbon fiber frame. I am planning on picking up an Icon 6000 and will post up a review of it after I get ahold of it and put it through its paces. The pack should be around 4.5LB's all up and supposedly will haul serious weight. I currently am running a mystery ranch nice 6500 and have had a crewcab and a long bow as well. I have owned just about every badlands except the ox and sacrifice. I have also tried a few other brands over the years as well. Why so many? I am a pack junkie! So, I will share my thoughts on it after I have abused it for a while. I thought about getting one of the new Kifaru KU 5200's at less than 3 lbs but the Icon just looked more my style with more compartmentalization to it. Guess a Kifaru will have to be next...

Gotta love new gear!

IL Hntr

Feb 26, 2011
Southern Illinois
I look forward to hearing your review. I have been following Jason's startup of this company and I'm impressed so far. Not planning on buying that pack this year as I have a 4500 I have already purchased for my elk hunt. Definitely considering it for next year and look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on it and the KU 5200.

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
Can't wait to hear the review, I just picked up a MR CC so I will be very curious how it compares to the MR packs.

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
- just got my pre-shop order in for the Icon 6000 and a few other items from Kuiu. The pack will ship around the 1st of may and I will get it into the field shortly thereafter.

Can't wait to get it!

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Gamehog,

What did you pick up?

In addition to the pack, I bit the bullet on a guide jacket, merino 185 top, ball cap, and merino beanie. You will have to let us know how yours works out for you.

Gamehog,

What did you pick up?

In addition to the pack, I bit the bullet on a guide jacket, merino 185 top, ball cap, and merino beanie. You will have to let us know how yours works out for you.
I am starting out with the Merino 185 Zip-T, ball cap, Attack Pant, and the Guide Jacket for this season. Hope to get one of the packs for next season. I will for sure write a review on what I think of the clothing.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
When you get those packs I would love to see a nice review of them. I have been watching that company develop for the last little while and I want to see what that pack can do. Thanks in advance.

txnhunter

Apr 1, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Yep, I jumped in to Kuiu with 250 zip, Attack pants, beanie, neck gator and cap....drooling over Spindrift and Guide Jacket. I still have my generation 1 Sitka gear...didnt think I'd ever change....may not, but its fun trying..!!!

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I wish I had the money. I was looking at the merino wool baselayers, but figured i would keep saving for a spotting scope instead. I hope everyone posts a review of their KUIU gear when they receive it. I'm interested to hear about it.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'm definitely interested in your review on the pack since I'll probably be buying one next year. I already ordered my KUIU clothing just waiting for it to show up at my door. I really want to put the Chugach jacket through the test before this fall season.

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Maxhunter and everyone else with KUIU on the way, I just started a thread in the lightweight section about the KUIU clothing I received yesterday...Check it out and add your own thoughts to it when you receive yours. I am liking this stuff!

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I also ordered a icon 6000 and will let you know my thoughts as well, I do have the guide vest from KUIU and so far it seems very well made and comfortable, the fabric is real smooth and light weight, plus the vistas camo is pretty cool as well

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
I tried out my Kuiu Guide jacket and Chugach rain gear last week.
I was pulling some scouting cameras that were out over the winter. First camera was about a half mile from the road and I was in a hurry. Worked up a bit of heat but unzipped the guide jacket half way and was very comfortable.
Second camera was a 40 min hike one way up a hill that was not very steep but I left the zipper of the guide jacket open and was very comfortable. The weather was about 30 degrees with snow and rain.
The one thing I really liked that was the lack of sweat. I did not overheat like usual.
Great stuff.

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Just got my email and my pack shipped today. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I was able to see one at their shop and handle it some, but it will be great to get ahold of it and put it through its paces in the field. Hopefully I will receive it by the weekend for a quick hike-in overnighter!

MarkTheFark

Feb 21, 2011
soleadventure.com
Apparently they are weighing in quite higher than the specs listed. Has anyone heard any solid info on this?

EDIT: It looks like Jason just addressed the issue here. The short answer?...Yes, the weight did increase.

Last edited:

Schism

May 2, 2011
North Dakota
I resisted temptation and did not order the pack when I had the chance to. After seeing the production weights vs the hyped weight from Kuiu I am glad that I didn't place the order. We spend hundreds of dollars to save a pound or two on backcountry gear and having a pack that is nearly six pounds that was hyped to be under five is simply not worth the $550 price tag to me. I hope for those that ordered them that the pack is durable and serves them well.

That being said the attack pants and merino wool have has been great so far!