Kuiu Icon 6000 vs. Kifaru KU5200 w/extras

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
I am getting ready to throw down a fair chunk of change on a new pack and was looking for some of your input. Ill give you all my pros. Then if you would help me decide on which on to go with. This pack is being bought for the primary purpose of backcountry/alaska sheep and goat hunts.

Kuiu Icon 6000
Pros-
- many different compartments, including optics areas
- option to change out bag for the 3000ci
- fairly light weight (88oz)
- not sure but think it may be more durable than the Kifaru
- about $150 less then the Kifaru w/added pockets that I want

Kifaru KU5200
Pros-
- Very light weight (58oz w/2 long pockets and 2 hip belt pockets)
- Able to add the E&E pack for quick easy movement (drop main pack and go)
- Seems to be able to carry a heavier load than the Kuiu
- Has a lot longer testing cycle put into it than the Kuiu

That is what I have came up with. I appreciate any thoughts you guys have on what direction I should go.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I was looking at both of these packs as well. Both seem to be great packs. I was leaning towards the Kifaru based on weight alone. I coulnd't spend the money, so i never ordered one. Let me know which one you choose and I would love to see your review of the chosen pack.

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
Well I bit the bullet on the Kifaru 5200. I added a hip belt pocket and a long pocket. I ended up going with this pack due to the fact that it is almost 1/2 of the weight of the KUIU at production. I also think that the frame will hold up longer and has more vertical stiffness (based on both companies youtube videos). I will post up some pics and review when I get it.

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
I got a an expected ship date of july 28th on the invoice. That would make it 6 weeks from the time of order, I did not ask if that was just to cover thier 4-6 week window or if it was an acurate expectation. I am really in no rush to get it till I move up there to North Pole in December... Cant wait to get back to AK!

plentycoupe

May 27, 2011
North Pole AK
Coming to North Pole eh? Good deal maybe we can chat and talk hunting. I am currently in Afghanistan and wont be back until next spring. Have a sheep hunt lined up for next year and am thinking of a float as well.
I just ordered the pack and am having it sent over here to me so I can use it for awhile before I head home.
I wish you the best of luck and make sure to post what you think after you get your pack.
I am also planning a mule deer hunt. Just bought my WY points yesterday, that puts me to 3 for deer. Should be agreat year next year.....now if I can only find the time off of work!!

fatrooster

Jul 5, 2011
Spring Creek, Nevada
I am really interested in your review 12ring. Please keep us posted. One thing you might consider is support of contents that you are carrying in the pack. I tried on my buddies Blacks Creek Barbarian the other night and it felt great. But then we put in a 45 barbell weight and I found that it did not support the weight very well and the contents were able to move side to side. Now I know that this is not a fair test due to the fact that you won't be carrying around a weight plate and I know that the contents used for hunting will be more spread out and ride differently and will have the ability to be cinched up with straps. But it should be a consideration. I like the sound of the Kifaru having a more solid frame. I too am interested in the Kifaru due to the weight savings. fatrooster.