Kuiu gear

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
I just recieved my shipment yesterday. The ballcap, beanie, 185 merino top and guide jacket. The XL jacket feels like it was measured and cut just for me. For reference, I am 6'1" and weigh about 245. I have a 46" chest and about a 22" torso. I am more deep in the chest than wide in the shoulders. It fits nicely and I am impressed by the range of motion it provides for the arms without riding up when I lift my arms or twist around. I have tried layering with a vest and also layering with a mtn hardware compressor coat instead and they both fit and felt good in combination with the guide jacket. There was enough room to layer and still have range of motion. Perhaps my favorite feature of this jacket was one I hadn't even been considering...The hood is amazing! With the back of the head tensioner and the front pulls, this hood snugs down and naturally molds to my head. I have never really liked hoods before when facing into the wind because invariably, the wind gets in there and feels like it is parachuting the hood. I don't see that happening with this one due to the fit and design. I just keep putting it on and snugging the hood down just because I am impressed with the design. The XL Merino top is a good fit too. I like the tighter fit through the forearms which will keep the fabric out of ths strings way. I like that they are cut long. Too many tops are cut too short for my liking. The shirt would easily tuck in and judging by the length, stay tucked. The jacket drops in the back and covers my rear easily. I think that feature should help on longer hikes and not ride up under the waistbelt of a pack. I will soon find out on some hikes I will be taking. I have been having fun trying to soak the guide jacket and see how water resistant it is. I literally pooled up water on it and also held an arm under the faucet on full blast and the water just rolls off. After, I just shake my arm once or twice and it is dry to the touch. Very nice. The ballcap fits well and if I had to describe the fit, I would say it is a "deep" hat. To explain, many hats ride too far above my ears when pulled down tight and this one sits down lower around my head. I was worried about that since it seems most hats are constructed "shallow". This one was not. The merino beanie fits nice and snug on my 7 1/2 size head. I wish it was about an inch longer though so it would drop to cover my earlobes for sun protection, so, I am hoping it will stretch out a little as I wear it. We will see how everything works out on the hill in the next few weeks before my Icon 6000 arrives. I am really excited to see the pack and how it will stack up against my MR 6500 at almost half the weight.

mathewshooter

Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
I received my order Friday. I've had a few days to check it out now. I got the guide jacket, attack pants, 185 base top, merino beanie, and ball cap. Everything looks and fits great except the beanie as bigpapacow said, a little short but I think it will work. I will be doing some turkey hunting in the gear to see how it holds up.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I already got my Guide jacket and I'm really impressed. It fits like it was custom made for me. Just got of the phone with them today and the Chugach Jackets have arrived and should be shipping shortly. I'm excited about getting mine and testing it out.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
I echo the comments made. I received a guide jacket and it is nice stuff. So nice in fact that I plan to purchase other equipment.

I used it on a work trip last week when the forecast called for rain. The shell did a great job at keepin the rain out and the hood cinchs are awesome.

From what I have seen so far, I would recommend their stuff to anyone.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I got my second shipment of KUIU yesterday with my Chugach Jacket and Attack pants. The jacket is really light and will be easy to compact to put in my pack. The Attack pants are really nice. I took the pants and held them under the faucet for about 30 seconds on full blast and still no water came through. They didn't even fill damp to the touch. I think I might pull the trigger and get a vest also.

mathewshooter

Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
I haven't had my KUIU gear in the backcountry yet but I did do a little field testing on a couple turkey hunts here in Mich. My opening weekend was pretty wet weather, no downpours but steady drizzle for 2 days. I'm very happy with the Guide jacket and Attack pants, I stayed completely dry and they dried very quickly back at home.

idsean80

May 4, 2011
Did anyone find that the vest is a little long?
I thought it was great. I'm 6'2 195 and i sent the L back becuase it was just a tad short. IMHO. I like the length L in the base layers cuz i have a long torso and long arms but Needed the L for the vest.

Schism

May 2, 2011
North Dakota
The guide jacket is an active wear jacket that is similar (many reports say better) than the Sitka 90% jacket while the chugach is a rain jacket.