Kuiu Axis Hybrid

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Anybody have this yet? Looking for anyone's take on it. I've been planning on getting the Sitka Jetstream until this came out, look pretty intriguing

CODAK

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
I don't have personal experience but have heard nothing but good things about it. I'm struggling to see the major difference between that Axis jacket and their DCS Guide jacket... I see the waterproof paneling that the Axis comes with it but everything else seems pretty similar. What did you think?

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Sounded like they increased their windproof ness(?) 3 fold in the axis. I know that was a low point of the guide. Plus the waterproof layer instead of resistant like you said

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I'd like to see it at the trade shows next year, but if it had been on sale I probably would've already bought it.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I like my Guide jacket very much, but it doesn't cut the wind very well.

When I need to cut wind I throw my old Cabela's MTo50 Gore-Tex rain-wear over the Guide. Adjust base layers as needed based on temp and wind.

This deer season I sat on top of a hill in 14 degree temp and a nice 10MPH wind. Base UnderArmou cold layer, cameline underwear, Kuiu ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-T. Guide then the MTo50 over the top, and I was toasty warm.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I?m curious too... I actually just emailed them yesterday asking for the differences between the Axis and the Talus, aside of the small amount of extra waterproof material. I have since learned the Axis does not had the padded knees, which I think is a huge miss, but the Talus does.
I have the Timberlines now by Sitka and I think I?m going to switch over to one of these 2.
If I pull the trigger sooner than later I?ll check back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IowabowHunter

Dec 6, 2018
I have the Axis pants and I really like them. I don't think they're any warmer than the Guide's, but they do have the waterproof paneling in the seat and knees and are extremely comfortable. I wore them a month or so ago sitting in my tree stand in Iowa. Temps were in the high 30s with rain and I stayed more or less dry the whole time. I wouldn't trust them in a monsoon, but it was a steady light rain and they did great.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I like my Guide jacket very much, but it doesn't cut the wind very well.

When I need to cut wind I throw my old Cabela's MTo50 Gore-Tex rain-wear over the Guide. Adjust base layers as needed based on temp and wind.

This deer season I sat on top of a hill in 14 degree temp and a nice 10MPH wind. Base UnderArmou cold layer, cameline underwear, Kuiu ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-T. Guide then the MTo50 over the top, and I was toasty warm.
Hopefully I don't get scolded for this haha, BUT... I can't say enough great things about the MT050 line from Cabela's. Just spent 11hrs in 35 degree downpours on PA's rifle opener, 3 of which were in an uncovered treestand and with my hood up I was bone dry all day long. As mentioned, it totally stops the wind also. My opinion....if it doesn't say Gore-Tex it may be water resistant but it's not waterproof.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Hopefully I don't get scolded for this haha, BUT... I can't say enough great things about the MT050 line from Cabela's. Just spent 11hrs in 35 degree downpours on PA's rifle opener, 3 of which were in an uncovered treestand and with my hood up I was bone dry all day long. As mentioned, it totally stops the wind also. My opinion....if it doesn't say Gore-Tex it may be water resistant but it's not waterproof.
I agree 100%. In my case I actually do not want waterproof. Can?t move too much in them because you over heat. Western open country stuff. I?m after something highly water repellent is all.
Thanks for the insight though. Good stuff.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I know this thread is from a few months back, but I just got the axis set. Didn’t test out the pants yet, but love the concept of the waterproof butt and knees for glassing and stalking. Wore the jacket yesterday while walking for sheds. It was right around freezing and lightly raining/ freezing rain. The water beaded right of the jacket. It breathes great. I only had a light shirt under it, kept the body temp regulated very well. It worked very well at cutting the wind, which was around 20mph. I never used the guide jacket to compare, but this jacket is a home run in my opinion. Can’t wait to wear it for hunting!

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I know this thread is from a few months back, but I just got the axis set. Didn?t test out the pants yet, but love the concept of the waterproof butt and knees for glassing and stalking. Wore the jacket yesterday while walking for sheds. It was right around freezing and lightly raining/ freezing rain. The water beaded right of the jacket. It breathes great. I only had a light shirt under it, kept the body temp regulated very well. It worked very well at cutting the wind, which was around 20mph. I never used the guide jacket to compare, but this jacket is a home run in my opinion. Can?t wait to wear it for hunting!
Wow. This is great. Thanks for the update.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I got the pants and tested them yesterday. Water beaded off of them pretty well. It was around freezing with sleet and high winds. I didn't wear any base layer, just pants, and they were plenty warm enough. The only bad point that I didn't like was they have a slight "swishing" sound when walking. Fit was normal for Kuiu. This will be a late season/cold weather pant for me.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I noticed a little swish as well. Nothing too bad to me though. I wonder if over time of breaking them in and a couple washes if that’ll go away? On some of my other pieces, that sort of sound went away after repetitive uses.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Can you guys help me understand the capability of the axis series and keeping an older hunter like myself warm in cold and windy weather.

I have gone to the KUIU site, and read up on the specifics and the overall performance of this product and need to know how it works in extreme weather(cold and how it handles the wind). Any input would be helpful. I really like the quality of their products and need to get educated somewhat based on your experience and knowledge about their product-especially this line.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Breathable and windproof. Two things that will get the you the coldest when cold is over sweating and wind biting said sweat. Lightweight for walking and throw a down under when glassing

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
CODAK,

So this sounds like a good 4th or late season pant for us here in Colorado ?

4th rifle the past few years I've been wearing my Attack Pants with merino long underwear bottoms.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Yep Slugz you are right on track. Great piece that'll keep you dry from snow/falling snow on branches, rain, whatever. And the usual late season winds. Surprisingly lightweight. Just get a size up if you plan to layer a down puffy under. I wear a base layer with a light down vest and its true to size. If you want a puffy under neath size up. I usually just throw my puffy on over when I glass. I think the biggest thing the pant will be good for is for the waterproofness and windproofness when sitting down to glass (99% of late season hunts). Have vent zippers as well. Not much I hate more than a wet cold ass to walk around in all day