Knives

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I like at least 2 or 3 different blades for butchering. I have a big chefs knife that I use for cutting steaks and I use a smaller filet style to debone. The picture with this post has the knife I like for steaking and cutting up large chunks of meat. The picture was where I was cutting up prime rib roasts into ribeye steaks. I have several knife set I got from RMEF that I use too.4628546286

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've processed elk with no more than a large butcher knife that we used every day in the kitchen.

But when I grew up I got a fantastic set of Gerber kitchen knifes. They hold a edge and fit my hands. The large butcher knife makes quick work of a boneless backstrap. For getting around the bones the set also has a nice filet knife.

You don't need much but they need to be sharp.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Check out Chicago Cutry, but I like to hold a knife in my hand before I buy it

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I was able to snag a couple old knives my grandfather had after he passed away. He had a butcher shop in town and a slaughter house out in the country where we lived. I remember him having a lot of Forschner knives.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was able to snag a couple old knives my grandfather had after he passed away. He had a butcher shop in town and a slaughter house out in the country where we lived. I remember him having a lot of Forschner knives.
I love old knives. They are mostly high carbon steel and take and hold an edge really well. They do rust tho. I have a couple too as my uncle was a butcher too.