Knifes.........

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Since we are kind of on the subject of knifes today I thought that I would post up a question for you.

I know that we all have fancy new ones. Changeable razor sharp blades and such but what is your oldest knife?

For me it would have to be my dads old Solingin Premium Stockman's. My dad had it for as long as I can remember. He was picked up by the police one time when we were living in El Paso, Texas, he had been drinking a little and as the story goes they confiscated the knife to send to their lab to check for blood. Naturally there was blood on it since he used it for everything from taking a splinter out of a finger to cleaning small game and fish. Back then a knife was a tool. I still remember going down to the police department a few days later to get the knife back and watching dad jump through their hoops to retrieve it, but he got it back. This was back in 1963 and I was a whopping 10 years old.

I did a little bit of research on it and all I can find is that it was made in Germany by a company that is still in business. I did find one online where the seller was asking $50 for the one that he had, but this one will never leave me. That is until I pass it along to one of my nephews if any of them can show that they would treat it with the respect that it deserves.

The main blade has seen some wear on it to where it is quite possibly missing a good 1/8 of a inch or more from it due to him sharpening it. When I took it out of my knife box this morning I found that it is still razor sharp, a little bit tarnished but it would still be a very useful knife. I may take it out one of these days and use it on a rabbit or two, or even perhaps on a deer hunt.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have an oldtimer that looks very similar to that knife in your pic.
have had it since my eighth bday so that would make it about 45 years old now. carried it everywhere ,throughout my grade school years. it now sets in a drawer neglected but still has a sharp edge on it .. I have a fetish with sharp knives . even the cheapoes I get with mag subscriptions that I never use are razor sharp. most of them have a better edge then they had straight from factory.

Reactions: JimP

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The oldest knife I own was my Grandfathers. it is Marbles MSA Expert model made in about 1900. He wore out the original leather case and made the one in the picture. It is worth about $650.00...priceless to me!

The second picture is my current knives. The 2 folders are Case XX carbon steel and the stainless skinner is a custom Mark Wahlster, Silverton, Or. He made it to my specifications in 1985, I do like fairly small knives. This one has a 3 1/2" blade and is 7 1/2" OAL.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I should of put my personal one into the mix.

It is a Case XX that I picked up down in Globe, Arizona when we were living down there around 1965 or so. I remember looking at it down at the hardware store and coming home to ask my dad if it was a good knife. He said that it was and I then went to work picking up old pop bottles and cashing them in at the grocery store. It took a while before I got enough to head down to that hardware store to purchase it.

For you youngsters, a regular 10 or 12 oz pop bottle brought .03 cents. A quart bottle fetched you a whole nickle. You also paid a deposit on the bottles when you took them out of the store.

This was back before recycling was even really thought of.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
It is a Case XX that I picked up down in Globe, Arizona when we were living down there around 1965 or so. I remember looking at it down at the hardware store and coming home to ask my dad if it was a good knife. He said that it was and I then went to work picking up old pop bottles and cashing them in at the grocery store. It took a while before I got enough to head down to that hardware store to purchase it.

For you youngsters, a regular 10 or 12 oz pop bottle brought .03 cents. A quart bottle fetched you a whole nickle. You also paid a deposit on the bottles when you took them out of the store.

This was back before recycling was even really thought of.
I collected lots of pop bottles too and also picked up old cigarette packages. If they were bought from a machine, they used to have change in them. A package of smokes cost from .20 to .22 cents and the change from the quarter machine was in the package. Sometimes they were discarded with the change still in the package. What we kids would do for a little money LOL!

Reactions: JimP