Kind of new.....

Mazz Hunter

Nov 13, 2013
I just saw this section as I have been a member for a few months and did post one other time looking for some advice on a hunt next yr

I have been hunting (deer/bird) & fishing for about 40 yrs in the central Sierras in CA, IL and MO. Since moving to CO back in 2005 I have been primarily upland bird hunting with my pointing dog.

This last fall my 12 yr old son passed his hunters safety course and wanted me to plan a deer or elk trip for us in 2014. I'm excited to be back big game hunting and especially to teach my son to enjoy the hunt. he has really taken to shooting at the range is excited about our coming hunt this year.

I think we might try a 1st season rifle hunt for elk in CO GMU 54 since I think we can draw out either sex elk.

I have done allot of research on the web, talked to the local Parks/Game office and any other advice would be really appreciated. This hunt is all about my son so I'm hoping we see some animals and get luck enough for opportunity.

Anyway, I really enjoy the forum......

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Welcome. I can't wait till my daughter gets to hunt Nv next year. It's going to be a lot of fun taking her hunting.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
My brother is 6 years younger than I am. Most of the best hunts I've ever had involved taking him on youth hunts. Enjoy it!! My daughters are 5 and 2. The 5 year old shows interest already. So hopefully she will come with me soon.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Welcome to the forum. Upland bird hunting is awesome. I used to run a Llewellin english setter years ago along with a friend who had some Elhew English pointers. Some good memories watching the dogs point birds for me as well. Thanks for the introduction.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome,
Both my son and daughter have hunted with me since they were 10.(younger actually but 10 for their first actual tag) Now their both in college and they still come back and hunt with me! I can truly say that my hunts with them and my hunts as a youngster with my father are still the best hunts ever! Seems like of all the time together with them, sports etc., that hunting is some of the best one on one time there is. Enjoy it, it doesn't get any better than that!

Mazz Hunter

Nov 13, 2013
If I remember correctly it was D9? Just south of Bear Valley Ski hill. Not the greatest. We knew the area well and enjoyed 4x4 into our spot.