Kids backpacking set up

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
I have a 7year old but will be 8 by the time hunting season is here and He really wants to go on a backpack hunt with me. It would be a small archery trip one or two nights here in south dakota. Do any of you have kids this age that have done this? Im in search of a backpack for him and a warm sleeping bag and also sleep pad which any pad will work for him. I need your advice on gear for a kid. I think he is set for clothing. Thanks guys

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
oh man that is awesome! since he will grow out of a back in a couple of years, when son was a few years younger I bought him a pack from Walmart, one with a water bladder. I let him carry his sleeping pad (one of my old thermorests) and put a knife and some stuff he thought would be cool to pack like a fire starter, the snacks, a few of his noiseless toys... I don't even remember what sleeping bag I got him. we didn't venture to far from truck though, we slept in tent near truck. amazed me how much energy that kid had! we were walking up a steep hill nd I asked him if he needed a break (hoping he would say yes) he said nope I'm good! haha. good luck and have fun and take a crap load of pictures of him when he doesn't know you are to capture him in his element. so many memories to be borne!

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I've been backpacking with my kids since my oldest daughter, (now 20) was around 7 years old or so. I bought her an Osprey jib 35 many years ago. Think I got it at REI. She graduated to a Deuter pack when she was maybe 15? My little one now uses the Osprey. It's still a great pack.

I bought a North face kids sleeping bag too. I think it was called a Tigger? Or something like that. Neither of these is probably available anymore.

There's​ not a ton of kid specific backpacking gear (more now than there used to be). If I were you I'd go someplace like REI or other outdoor websites like moosejaw, summit hut, backcountry, etc and see what they have to offer and start narrowing it down. Get them decent stuff and it will last for years and hopefully be able to do the hand me down thing to siblings if you have others behind him. Backpacking with my kids has been a true blessing with great memories. Looking forward to more this summer!

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
We went on some all day outings and he loves caring a multitool and having a compass. He also carries my old i phone for pics and loves it. He has put on 5 miles with me one day and not once did he want to go home, but i made it fun for him such as had a lot of snacks and made a fire. Im hoping this will really excite him to camp out a night. He keeps asking when we are gonna do it.

Yes i have a four year old daughter that i think will enjoy the outdoors also so i think he will definitely be able to hand it down to the next two girls.

I will check out the options at the stores and narrow it down. Thanks for the input guys

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I just bought both of my kids (6&8) regular length bags, figured they can grow into them. Got them on sale so the bags were cheaper than"youth models".

Wapiti_Hunter

Aug 8, 2014
Westminster CO
I also have an 8 year old and we have camped extensively here in Colorado. I have found that Slumberjack makes great sleeping bags at a great price. I personally have owned two sleeping bags in the past 15 years, both slumberjack, one is 0 degree and one 30 degree. I have always been a big fan of Thermarest for sleeping pads, they last forever and are great quality. For backpacks, it depends on if you want camo or not, I don't think it needs to be camo but to each his own on that one. I think the best backpacking bags on the market, camo or otherwise, are made by Osprey. The one I use for hunting is orange and the bag is awesome! If you really want camo for a young child, I would get something from badlands that can grow with him. Good luck and I hope he enjoys it!